Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DO YOU RECOGNIZE THIS BASS????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by injektilo, Jul 12, 2005.

1. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    well, I was looking for a second bass in search of an alternative sound to my MM sterling bass, something cheap yet reliable, beautiful and versatile, and finally I have two finalists: a deluxe fender quilt-top jazz bass 4 string/with sm basslines an active system (unknown origin), and a lakland skyland 55-01 korean five string. the thing is, does anyone know where this jazz bass comes from? is it japanese, mexican? I have,n't found nothing about it on the internet! I've heard pretty good things about this skyland basses, but I'm leaning towards the fender, it's just that I don't want to buy a bass I haven't heard from before... please, give me some light! thanks a lot!

take a look at the pic, isn't it gorgeous?

Attached Files:

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's a FSR bass made in Korea for Guitar Centar (musicians friend). Sells for $699 and doesn't sound bad at all. :)

4. what he said

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I'm not even a fan of Fender basses, not in the slightest bit. But they had a tobacco sunburst one in GC about two weeks ago that I tried out for the hell of it. Not only did it look beautiful, but it sounded pretty damn good for a $699 bass. I was quite impressed, I must admit...

6. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    so, you think this korean bass will do it? give me a versatile sound better than the lakland? what would you buy? both are the same price in musiciansfriend! thnx again for your help!

7. The Lakland is good, although the 55-02 would be a better choice since it has better electronics. I haven't tried the Fender, but I wouldn't be surprised if it plays well and sounds pretty good. Fender's been making some good basses lately, and I'm heard good things about this one. However the Lakland 55-02 is a terrific bass, maybe on par with American series Fenders. Try them both out.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I agree the quality level is probably higher, but keep in mind these basses will sound very different, so it may or may not be a "better choice". I'm a HUGE fan of the 55-02, tho.

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have this bass. It's Made in Korea. But the cheaper labor cost made it possible to load the bass up with the goodies. The pups are SD 1/4#ers, the pre amp is SD STC3, the tuners are HipShot and it has a heavy bridge that will allow both conventional and through body stringing.

The combo of the active EQ, the 1/4ers and the slightly different neck pup position allows it to sound more than just a Jazz. It can be very punchy with just a turn of a knob.

I don't know anything about the Lakland.

10. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    today i called my local guitar center, and tried this fender out, it sounded good but not that good, and it seemed really cheap, i think i like the lakland 55-01 better, and both are the same price, but i'd really like to try a 55-02 to see if i can push a little bit and buy that one...

11. Aren't Lakland Skylines and Korean Fenders made by Cort in the same factory?

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I played through one and didn't think it was that great. I prefer the Geddy.

I don't know what it was. The bass didn't sound good acoustically to me, or plugged in. Try before you buy, it's not a be-all-end-all for $700 basses IMO.

13. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
  14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fenders are sex. I'm sorry, but I would never get a Lakland for myself. An instrument has to represent me, not only in sound but in presentation as well. Laklands look like amoebas. Fenders are totally my thing.

Though $700 will also get you a Carvin B4. Just make sure your truss rod doesn't break. ;)

15. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    hello! I think I'm gonna get myself a 55-02, now I'm lookin' for an used one... any ideas?

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Right here at TB, and Poon's a great guy as well. As far as I can tell from the thread, it's not sold yet, either.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182751

17. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    gonna hurry up!

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    HEY! Spreading this type of information is MY job.

19. HERE HERE! :hyper:

20. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    how about a groove tools instead of the lakland? any thougts?