Do you recycle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FunkyDom, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Yes, religiously.

56 vote(s)
  2. Sometimes, I try.

30 vote(s)
  3. No, I'm lazy.

8 vote(s)
  1. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    Hi all, in the wake of this recent power outage, I was just wondering how many of you out there recycle and conserve resources. I sometimes find it sickening to learn how wasteful some people are. I think this planet is a rare gift and we gotta take care of what we got, while we got it.

50 Ways to save the environment.

If this sounds preachy, good.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    on top of recyling all cans and stuff, I also don't flush my piss, especially since I drink so much water it's usually clear anyway. hahaha :p
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Read Dune for long periods of time, and you'll be thankful you have it so good.

I do recycle. I think I'm half hippy or that might have something to do with it. I like nature....and wasteful people should be forced to live in their own filth.

or something.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I sort my trash (plastic, organic, glass and paper) and I also use energy-saving light bulbs, they only have 11W consumption but are as bright as 70W or 100W (this actually saves a lot of money).

I also usually shower instead of taking a bath and I mainly use my bicycle or public transportation.
  5. Facilities in the UK for re-cycling are garbage (pardon the pun). I re-cycle glass - it's the easiest here to re-cycle. Also aluminium cans are re-cycled and I try to do that were possible to! But there is little provison for steel cans or much else where I live. Truly a sad state of affairs!
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this sounds slightly misguided - OK we all need to re-cycle more, but this is not really going to help with power cuts. What we need to do first as a top priority is use less energy in all its forms!

Less fossil fuel
    Less electricity
    Less AirCon
    etc. etc.

If we don't all do this and soon - then how much we re-cycled will be virtually irrelevant! :(

If every American who owned an SUV traded it in for a fuel-efficient small car - I would forgive them, if they never re-cycled again!! ;)
  7. Quote of the week.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    No. I dont... but some how my garbage ends up getting recycled... silly parents.

Here is my theory:

The sooner we completely destroy the environment, the sooner we have to stop worrying about it!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could apply that logic to you should, really!!

So - the sooner you (completely)destroy your brain, the sooner we can stop worrying about it!
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    TBers are masters of recycling - at least posted info. :p
  11. The 3 "R"s

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

But the recyclers in our area only take so many things. I feel I should furnish white gloves for them every week.

I do what I can. I cannot litter either. I Can't!
  13. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah I recycle quite a lot aswell as reusing stuff.

I'll admit that I didn't recycle much at all until our area introduced a recycling 'blue-bin' scheme. This scemes ok but does have problems including increaed poll tax aswell as the horrifically stupid planning of issuing two whelly bins - a 'regular sized' one for waste paper and cardboard, and a 'small' bin used to puit in empty plastic bottles, thin card etc, of which theres maybe 3 timesmore volume per week.

It does infuriate me when people refuse torecycle, for example tehre was an article in my local paper not so long back about some pleb complaining about the recycling how it wasted too much of her time. She even got a petition and an army of hobo's.
  14. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I recycle, I have been doing it for the past year or so. I help the environment a bit and get a little bit of money at the same time.:bassist:
  15. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My town's curbside recycling program was cancelled due to lack of interest. Now I cart paper, cardboard and aluminum down to a facility that accepts the stuff (but makes it rather difficult with a cryptic paper sorting scheme). Nobody accepts glass or plastic locally, though...
  16. our apartment and refrigerator are very small, so i can't buy in bulk as much as i'd like to. this results in purchase of smaller-sized containers [eg yogurt] that create more waste. i do recycle, but i feel i'm not doing enough on the "reduce" front.

our building is very strict about recycling and imposes fines if you don't rinse out containers and sort them properly.

good news is my car died, so at least i'm not directly contributing to air and noise pollution. our band does a fair enough job of that!
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont, to much effort for 5 cents.
  18. FunkyDom

Aug 31, 2002
    hmmpft...I don't even get a return on my cans and I still do it.
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I always learned it as

has a better ring to it :p

then close the loop! :p
  20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I do,,,, Well. I try. Very hard. It just slipps my mind all the time.