Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you remember the first time...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    ...that you experienced what playing on new strings is like? I remember a few years ago I was the bass player in the marching band pit. During one of the practices one of my strings broke, so of course I later got a new set of strings (d'addario XLs). I was pretty new to bass back then and didn't really know a lot about tone and really old strings (the ones that were on my bass) were all I knew. I had no idea what new strings sounded like. So I'm putting on my new strings and as I'm tuning them up I notice a real metallic clinky-ness to them. I plugged the bass in and I was overjoyed with how much life the strings had brought to my bass. I had gone from about 6 year old strings to brand new and that is quite a big jump for a person who isn't familiar with the sound of new strings. Well, that's my story and I just felt like sharing.

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Same strings, changed them after the dirt on my strings was changing the color of my fingerboard, I didn't like it really, I think old strings have more of a characteristic sound to them. I just recently put Fender Tapes on one of my fretless basses and I can't wait for them to die a little.

3. Yeah, that new string sound is awesome. Elixirs were great strings for me because they kept that sound for a very long time, despite my fearsome playing. :)

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    first time i tryed D'adarrio Prisms......

same thing with DR lowriders...both have there place, and i switch "tone moods" quite often, so i keep some of both on hand

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, way back when I was playing rounds I thought these new strings are way too dang bright :mad: . What can I say, I'm a P-bass with flats kind of man.