Do you remember the first time...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    ...that you experienced what playing on new strings is like? I remember a few years ago I was the bass player in the marching band pit. During one of the practices one of my strings broke, so of course I later got a new set of strings (d'addario XLs). I was pretty new to bass back then and didn't really know a lot about tone and really old strings (the ones that were on my bass) were all I knew. I had no idea what new strings sounded like. So I'm putting on my new strings and as I'm tuning them up I notice a real metallic clinky-ness to them. I plugged the bass in and I was overjoyed with how much life the strings had brought to my bass. I had gone from about 6 year old strings to brand new and that is quite a big jump for a person who isn't familiar with the sound of new strings. Well, that's my story and I just felt like sharing.
  2. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Same strings, changed them after the dirt on my strings was changing the color of my fingerboard, I didn't like it really, I think old strings have more of a characteristic sound to them. I just recently put Fender Tapes on one of my fretless basses and I can't wait for them to die a little.
  3. Yeah, that new string sound is awesome. Elixirs were great strings for me because they kept that sound for a very long time, despite my fearsome playing. :)
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    first time i tryed D'adarrio Prisms......

same thing with DR lowriders...both have there place, and i switch "tone moods" quite often, so i keep some of both on hand
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, way back when I was playing rounds I thought these new strings are way too dang bright :mad: . What can I say, I'm a P-bass with flats kind of man.