Do you remember your very first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Nov 3, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I hope this hasn't been done too recently; but do you remember the circumstances around your first contact with bass, and the first bass you played?

When I started my second job in '85 I found the job also meant I was a semi-reluctant bass player in a bluegrass (!) band some of my new collegues had. They put an unlined fretless Kasuga (it's a wonder I didn't give up then and there :)) in my hands. It started as a kind of joke or not too serious trial, and the rest is history, as the saying goes.

Do you have some similar stories?

Edit: Perhaps the moderators want this in another forum, if so please move it.
  2. I remeber the first bass I bought. I should though, i still have it.

I remember a couple of the basses I rented in the days before purchasing my first bass. The only ones I really remember are the Sammick (red body, unlined fretless neck), and a Washburn of some sort. Also, I rented a Sammick P bass clone.

I really don't remember what else I played/ rented in my very early days of playing bass. I'm pretty sure I had one other, but can't remember.
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, i do!

it was a Kingston bass. Kingston was the brand not the model. nothing to do with the MTD Kingston.

it was a Jazz bass lookalike bass without pickguard. Fender style headstock, finished in white, typical J style twin pickups.

it was made in plywood.
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The first bass I played was a Fender Prodigy IIRC. I was 13 years old, and I had been listening to RHCP for awhile, and I liked the sound of the low end. I fell in love instantly.

The first bass I got was an old Yamaha BB1200. It was beautiful, but too big for my small hands:(
    I sold it, but I regret it now:(
  5. My first bass was a "Harmonic" Beatle Bass. It was a Hofner clone and a real POS. Ultimately, the hollow body collapsed. That led the way to a, seemingly, endless stream of Hagstroms, a few Gibsons and lots and lots of Fenders...and a Reverend.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It was either a '92 or '93 MIM Jazz bass in white that I put EMG's & a BadAss 2 on.
  7. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    It was a short scale, 70's-ish Fender Mustang.

Good God.....that was nearly 30 yrs ago !!! :eek:

...and it's longggg gone. :p

8. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    My first bass was a musicman clone. I still have it, Its a red transparent finish w/ white pickguard and I remember looking and that and a Fender P-bass but I wanted the clone more...I wish I got the p-bass instead. My musicman clone is killed, I need a new bridge, tuners, knobs, and strap holders.:p
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    My first Bass was a Harmony. I gave it to a friend years ago and a few weeks ago he gave it back to me. I havent a clue what Im going to do with it, either.
  10. I hate to admit ... 1970's... I was playing the ... yes accordian. My friends had just started a band and neither they or I had any plans to have an accordian in the band, so I bought a Hagstrom bass, from what I remember it was a fairly inexpensive bass but was quite well built. The guitar player came across a bass humbucker pick-up, so we swapped out the pickup. Was a great bass and Kept it for a couple of years until I bought a new sunburst MIA Fender Precision that I still wish I had kept....oh well...if we only knew....
  11. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    My first one was an old (early 70ies maybe) SG copy of very bad quality by Ibanez. Good thing about it was that it was short scale which helped me starting bass with my small hands...

12. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    LOL ROTF, a yeah I remember it was a univox beetle bass copy. The tone control was non existant, I would change the tone with the switches at the controls. It was a short scale bass with the neck profile of a bat. It sounded hollow at times. Once the sound died so I opened up the controls and found a bandaid holding the wires together. I felt so violated. But all in all I think learning on a pos gave my real respect for decent equipment, and by the way I even became very good at thumping and popping on that pos. Just imagine someone in the early seventies thumpin an popping on a beetle bass- still lol rotf.
  13. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Univox High Flier, I still have it!
  14. Yes, it was a sunburst Teisco. These were some of the 1st imports from Japan. I got it in 1968. I sold it a couple of years later when I got my Hagstrom.
  15. My first bass was a sunburst Rickenbacker. I played it for about 2 years before I decided that I needed something different. I was going to trade it in, but then I saw a clip of the Beatles on TV. The sight of McCartney playing 'All You Need Is Love' on his Ric stopped me from getting rid of it. I still have it today.
  16. shaboda

Apr 14, 2002
    My 1st bass - a Series 10 BENTLEY. with PJ pickups. I had it for 3 months. It was sitting in the case, and one day I opened the case and the neck was split in half like a ball bat from the 3rd fret on up.... It wasnt dropped or anything so I duno WHAT happened. I think there was some kinda defect in the wood because I recall seeing a hairline crack in the finish before hand... and being the QUALITY instruments thats Series 10's were I cant Imagine WHY it woulda cracked :p
    The store gave me a replacement with a little extra $$.. I red BC RICH Warlock :rolleyes: Also a quality instrument... I could shot arrows off the neck the action was so high...:D

Needless to say that Warlock is LLOOONNGG gone.
  17. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Ampeg scroll neck. I got it for $90. in 1973.

What I really wanted was the primo '53 p-bass and fender bassman amp that my best friends father would sell me for $350.

Dad said only an idiot would spend that much for a twenty year old bass and wouldn't lend me the money...Jeeze thirty years and I'm still p.o'd. about it.
  18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    White fiberglass DB and '62 Precision (can't recall which was first). Both belonged to my high school, and both are still there, thirty years later.
  19. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    My first bass was a Yamaha BB200, I bought it from a guy who had a Sadowsky 4 string and I thought mine was cooler, imagine that;)
  20. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Geez 9th grade was along time ago. I think it was a cheapo "made in Japan" bass called Lyle.