Do you remove the headstock logo from your cheap bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Mar 15, 2006.

1. With all this recent talk of modding Squiers and SXs, I was wondering how many folks are removing or changing their headstock logos. I have never done this but knowing the stigma that a "bargain" brand can carry, I wonder about walking into an audition or jam session with something that says Squier on the headstock.

The rebel in me wants to outline the Squier in red highlights and flip off anyone who gives me s**t but that is probably not a practical approach.

I would never put the Fender name on my bass but I would consider using either a blank headstock or a custom logo like my own initials, a nickname or a symbol.

What have you guys been doing?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I hate inlays more than anything. I know this is way off topic, though.

I'll probably mod my headstock to say something else, or just sand off the brand name.
  3. fredfarmer

Feb 5, 2006
    My 1st bass was an Arbor. I did not like it at first, but after I got better at playing it, I loved it. I even kept it for 5 years. :eyebrow:

I use to love it when some folks would be like, "look as this guy w/his crappy bass. This should be funny." and then I'd show them that I could actually make that bass sound good. :ninja:

Be proud and poor, don't try to hide it. :bassist:
  4. I have never done this, but my guitarist sanded off his les paul and SG logos and slapped a Gibson logo on each one. from a distance it looks original, but up close you can see the black paint over the machine heads and the sandmarks around the headstock. Guitarists eh?
  5. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was going to sand my SX logo off of mine, but I realized I didn't have enough sandpaper. ;) :D
  6. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I Used to have a Louder Jazz Bass copy... i remeoved the name yes... but i think it played good, so maby im buying a new one for custom possibilitys...:p
  7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    If people are more concerned with the name on the headstock than the sound from the amp then I've got nothing but pity for them. Really, how many of us would be much, much better players if we spent less time worrying about our gear and more time worrying about our fingers?

I've got way more respect for a bassist who can make a crappy bargain instrument sing than someone who's mediocre on their boutique monster.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've done both. I have my first g**t*r, a Ventura from the '60's, that I removed the logo from years ago when I was learning to do simple inlay (I inlaid my initial in rosewood on the peghead). Fast forward 20+ years, and I took it to a luthier to have the plywood top replaced with a beautiful bearclaw spruce top, get the bridge replaced and the neck reset; we decided to leave the "Ventura" label inside the body. Especially since, with the new top, it sounds like a piano -- far above its humble origins.

The same guy reshaped the clubby neck on my '81 Global [read: cheap Asian] JB copy into a nice vee that fits my hand perfectly. In that case the logo disappeared along with probably about half of the wood in the process. I've always sort of wished it still said "Global" on it.

The LAST thing I would do would be to put a logo from a "name brand" on either one. They are unique, they're mine, end of story.
  9. Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I'm guilty of this. I put a piece of duct tape over the Squire logo on my P-bass one day at practice.

A couple weeks later, a good friend of mine (and an extremely talented singer) came in, and I made her sign it. Now I refer to it as her signature bass. The smile on her face every time I play it is priceless.
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I sanded off my Brice logo and made my own. Just didn;t like the Brice logo.
  11. I think only 1% of the audience can name another bass brand besides Fender. And even then it's the guy in the other band that's playing the set before or after you.
  12. Nate, I respect the way you think and have a similar attitude. I just wonder if most people are so thoughtful. I thought this whole subject might make for some interesting conversation here.

I actually like the Squier logo on my P-bass and I figure about 3/4 of the audience would not know. In most places it would be even less but this is a big musician's town. I just wonder about that audition situation and if it would prejudice a guitarist to badmouth me to their bandmates or vote against me. Also I'm very self conscious in general, so I worry about jam sessions and such. Anyone have any interesting experiences auditioning or playing out with a bargain bass?

This is not a super immediate concern as my hands are still just coming back from not being able to play for many years - medical thing - not that I was ever great - but some months or longer down the line I hope to be good enough that it may become a concern.

13. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I traded my Univox Ric knockoff for a P-bass knockoff when I'd been playing about a year (wish I hadn't now, but what are ya gonna do?)

The guy who traded with me ordered Rickenbacker truss and pickup covers, stuck them on the bass, and sold it to an unsuspecting bassist for about $1500 as the real deal.

Personally, I like my cheapie logos just fine. Unless I was trying to pull a fast one as above for a quick buck, I wouldn't dream of sanding off a logo.
  14. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I auditioned for a band a few years back when I was less gear-rich, and half the band didn't want me in because of my gear.

The other half liked me so much, they delivered an ultimatum, and the drummer and guitarist left over it. The singer and I formed a new band, which has been reasonably successful as a cover band.
    The other band's previous members came to our show once, and complained about not being able to find decent musicians these days, and how they hadn't had a steady band since. Heh, heh.

Long story short, don't let this sort of thing bug you. If a band likes your playing, it'll work out somehow. Reassuring them that you'll upgrade when you can afford to, or explaining firmly that you're happy with your tone as is, regardless of what they think of you rig, should be enough to satisfy any reasonable musician.
  15. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I once had an Ibanez ATK bass that I scraped the logo decal off of. I was surprised that the decal seemed to have been applied on top of the headstock's' clear finish, which is what allowed me to do this. I replaced the logo decal with a hand drawn version of my Astrological symbol.

Funny when people would complement me on the sound I got out of that "69" bass. I'd have to explain that it wasn't a "69" they were seeing, but the symbol for my birthsign... Cancer.

Several people preferred to think of it as a "69" bass, for reasons that shall remain unexplained.;)
  16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    A few months ago I saw some funk band at the local watering hole. Bassist had a nice looking and awesome sounding Alembic (note: I normally can't stand Alembic), and he was pretty good. Their guitarist had a Squier, and he sounded just as great in terms of tone and feel.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am not ashamed of my $99 SX, or any of my basses that cost 30 - 40 times that much.

18. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I've seen that has a GL-2000 and covers the logo with black duck tape.:eyebrow:
  19. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    sanded off my SX logo during a epoxy job i did to it. Was planning on staining it but the wood didnt accept it enough so i sanded it clean. Just wasnt diggin the look of the SX logo. Not ashamed of owning the SX tho.
  20. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sanded off my Squier's logo, put some burn marks on the headstock, and eventually I'll get to putting my own name on it.

Or maybe a little note to people who think i'm ashamed of the brand by writing in "If you're looking at me playing this, know that Steve plays a Squier but finds the Fender font works for nothing but Fenders so it looked really ugly and thus sanded it off. But please, remember that he's currently playing a Squier. It was his first bass, and he loves it."

I'm going to need a bigger headstock.