Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you remove your casters when you play?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Feb 21, 2003.

1. I've always left mine on ... but have recently been pondering the benefits of more cab contact with the stage / floor surface.

Just wondering if anyone regularly takes them off to play.

FWIW, I have a 2x10 on top of a 1x15 (which wears the casters).

Peace

2. I think petebass told me this, but you can just put the cab on it's side.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you or your audience can perceive a sonic difference, you need to contact the USAF about detecting incoming missiles. Even bats will hire you to find food.

In the studio, that's a different story.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The casters (or dollies as it were) on our PA subs come off for more bass coupling, but I keep the dolly under my bass cabinets, I think it reduces boominess problems somewhat on stage.

5. heheheheheh

6. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

wheel on

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I tilt my bass cab back the two rear casters act like little legs and hold it up in a tilted back position. Thus...I leave them on.

brad cook

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If I'm using just one cab (212 or 310) I leave the casters on. For bigger gigs when I stack a 210 on top, I remove the casters simply because doing so provides a larger and more stable footprint for the taller stack.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If the casters are the removeable type, I would say take them off. When I had my Ampeg 410 over 1 18 set up I would leave the casters on and pile the 410, amp, rack on top. It wasn't long before the casters would break and the ball bearings would fall out :spit: That's when I decided to start taking them off every time and yes you can hear the increase in low end from coupling with the floor of the stage.

10. I don't think you can say either way. It depends on the gig stage/playing area. I've done both. It's a pain I admit, but you never know until you try it. There is several things that affect the bottom end and "boominess." One of my favorite clubs we play is a great sounding room, but the stage is prone to be boomy. I once had my cab off the casters to get an increace in bottom and it was vibrating drinks right off the tables. I never go on the floor in that room unless I use my Auralex Gramma platform which isolates the cab from the box/stage. In different rooms, say with a concrete pad floor carpeted, I make contact with the floor. Wierd stuff can happen too. Once I thought my stage sound was superb and the horn guys on the other side were getting all the BOOM. I had to change it back to the casters between sets. You just never know, and that's why the casters are removeable, not to mention stacking cabs like Fuzz stated. Just remember that many times that juicy extra bottom you get can cause all kinds of other sonic problems elsewhere in the mix or your personal sound. Most of the time I just add a little low end on the bass or tone section. Don't forget to get as far out in front of you rig as you can to check the sound too. You might be suprised.:eek:

11. Ya, I remove them. Otherwise I roll around to much when I really get into it. :p

Seriously though... it would depend on the room, the stage, your equipment and eq. Each situation will be different. Big String pretty well covered it.

12. I second Jon...like if you start gettin' into it really nicely,and you have your wheelies on...you might be behind the drummer,or on the tip of the stage by the end of the show.

I suggest you take off the casters when playing,I dunno about tilting...I'd be scared it'd mess w/ the sound

-Jon:oops:

p.S- how do you pronounce it? Cay-Sters? Cass-ters?

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I keep the casters on. Too much PITA for no benefit. ;)

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    big string nailed it.

It all depends on the venue and stage. I have found that if you are playing on a hollow or solid stage, it can really change your tone. Especially with regards to low-end. You have to judge for yourself using the stage type, size of venue and volume as your guides.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, you probably know how it is, Sanctum.....when I'm playing with the guitarist who gets his Soldano screaming or the one who gets his Marshall stack cranked, neither me nor the audience even knows if I'm the one who has casters on, much less my amp.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've never heard it pronounced cay-sters...and wouldn't think I'd hear it unless I went somewhere that pronounces EVERYTHING that way....

17. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I'd agreed with some... if you can remove them, do so. Mine are screwed in tight, so the cab - 1x15", goes on its side, and the casters taped over with a couple of pieces of 2" black gaffer's tape.

-I've never had this problem, but, I have heard from some players (especially if the casters are a bit on the old side), the vibrations from the cabinet - amongst all the other noise on stage, makes them rattle?? Could be annoying...
    michael s.

18. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I used to take mine off (Ampeg PR15H with an Ampeg 410H on top) but then I got lazy. Frankly, with that level of volume there is not much difference. Sometimes without the wheels it got very boomy sounding, but I haven't had that problem since.

Other than that, removeable casters on Ampegs are a pain anyway, because after time they become loose and after pulling the cabs out of a truck the wheels aren't all the way in and they get bent. Oh, well.

I am actually going to mount permanent casters on the 15 to eliminate this problem.

19. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Nope, I leave mine in on my 'main' rig. I've got an old 60's fender bassman 4x10 that I usually take the castors off if I use it - they vibrate and buzz while playing.

20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Leave 'em on...unless you're stacking a castered cab onto something else.