Do you run your bass Eq flat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Apr 11, 2005.

1. I hear alot about this as when doing live run the flat EQ on the bass. Do you do this?
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    on my peavey amp yes, through my friend's ampeg BA112, no.

On both my basses, yes (ones passive the other is active)
  3. pretty much, i just turn down the low's very slightly
  4. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    If you are talking about live show with a good PA and a good soundman you should let him do the EQ from his position most probably he will have a better and a flexable EQ then yours and also he should be in a better skill and a better position (physically) to get the all sound picture and make your guitar sound better.
    Of course if you have a very specific EQ setup that you need in order to get your own unique sound ,you can tell the soundman how you like your EQ setup....
    BUT lots of time when you set the EQ the way you use to set it up in the training room it will sound different because of the acoustic conditions in the live show place. (pay attention to it).

If it's a small gig and there is no soundman around, you should setup the EQ using your ears and make the sound as close as you can to what you used to .

5. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    My equ settings

on a scale of 0-10(0 being none 10 being maxed)
    Bass: 4
    Mid: 6
    Treble: 5
    Presence: 0
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    NO! I could run bass, low-mids and treble flat, but I nearly crank the upper-mids for a hopefully-'signature' synth-y, sort of 'quack-y' growl! I also run a compressor always-on right after the bass - I think that works along with the high-mids boost for this sound.

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    NO, I do not. I have always thought it best to set your amp flat, get your best tone with your bass(EQ and P/U selection) and then dial-in some "room/stage compensation" EQ on the amp. I also have learned to have my bass volume at about 75% during soundcheck and leave some volume "in the tank" for later on if(when) it's needed.
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Not technique related. Moved to....oh, amps I guess
  9. I start with a flat EQ at every new room and make adjustments if necessary.
  10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I always leave mine flat on my bass. I start with a good thick midrange and bottom heavy tone, then adjust the EQ on the bass as certain songs need. I figure that I paid a hell of a lot of more money for a high quality EQ like what comes in an amp than I did for the preamps in my basses, hence the amps offer more flexibility, for me!
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I generally EQ at both my bass and my preamp.

If you use a pre-EQ DI to run to a PA, you want a good basic tone from your bass guitar.
    If you have a naturally great sounding bass, that should normally mean flat or pretty close to flat (unless you're going for a different type of sound).

I think the treble from my SR5 is way too much, so I back off about 1/3 or 1/2 of the available cut.
    Midrange flat.
    Bass either flat or an extremely small amount of boost (but for some boomy rooms, I've had to cut some).

A lot of what sounds good will depend on your tastes, the equipment you're using (where the frequency points are for the controls & how well they sound set flat), and the acoustics of the room you're playing in.

Don't forget, what sounds great when you're playing alone (in your bedroom or wherever) may not work in a live band gig situation.

What I used to hate about the sound of my bass guitar, is one of the main contributors to how great it sounds live with a band.
    Go figure.
  12. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    I have a 7-band eq which I run flat with a little kick on the low end. I scuplt the entire tone from my bass.
  13. i usually play flat eq on my bass all the time, only messing with them when i feel like i need a little boost or cut
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, but I start flat, then adjust for the song. For instance, the Eagles' "Love Will Keep Us Alive" is going to get more bass, and favor the neck pickup. Alanis Morrisette's "You Oughtta Know" gets a lot of mid, all on the bridge pickup. I change EQ on many songs. For songs that don't have a distinctive tone, I usually boost the mids and bass a tiny bit. My amp is usually flat.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Flat, almost all the time. The almost comes from twiddling with the knobs every once in a while, and then going back to flat anyway. It's made me seriously consider a DI instead of a preamp.
  16. I boost the mids quite a bit in order to cut through nicely.
  17. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The controls are there on my F-2B for a reason and they work very well, so I use them.
  18. I test everything out completely flat, just to get an idea of the kinds of tones it will get. Then I will tweak slightly. I've never actually heard an amp that sounds perfect flat. I usually boost the lows a tad, crank the mids, and slightly boost the highs. I boost all frequencies on my bass too. My soundmen usually mic my cab so I can keep my tone even on the outside.
  19. Amp:
    Pre-Gain - 5
    Contour - 5 (0-10 scale)
    Bass - Flat
    Mid - just slightly adding to it
    Mid Shift - 1K
    Treble - Flat

Sansamp has the bass and treble both slighlty pushed

Bass is set flat on the magnetic pup and treble boost on the piezos, just play with the volumes between the 2 pickups and i get a sound i like :)

For live its always best to tweak to your surroundings, or be lazy and let the sound guy do it ;)
  20. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I agree. I bought an SM-400S with 7-band eq. I am going to use it.