1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you see EBMM discontinuing the HH stingrays and sterlings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Do you ever see EBMM discontinuing the HH stingrays and sterlings?

They just don't seem to move very well. I love mine

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I doubt it. Offering options is usually going to bring more people in. Maybe EBMM devotees aren't as enthused about them, but they are likely bringing some who might not have looked at EBMM before due to the preceived limitations of 1 p/u. FWIW, I seem to see quite a few SR5s in HH configuration.

I have messed with both an HH 'Ray and an HS Sterling. In both cases, I preferred the sound of the bridge p/u soloed.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hmm they are? Thats interesting. It would seem to me the added pickup allows for more tones than just a MM tone. However why buy a MM bass to make all those tones? I say the original position is the way to go.

Why not discontinue the Peizo options as well though?

4. I hate the new pickup cover moulding, there's no little slot between the 2 screws to put your thumb anymore :mad: and the HH only come with those pickups

5. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I love the HH Stingrays I have tried, and my HH Bongo is almost always set close to the 50/50 blend position.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    What makes you think that?

The new molding is way more comfortable than the old, and allows more positions to rest your thumb. That's the whole point of it. Me thinks if you played one for a couple of hours you'd like it better than the old. I do.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

HS makes sense.
    HH seems completely worthless to me, just like the Sabre was in its days and just like the Warwick $$ is. Too much rumble gets in the way of proper tone.
    So if people love them it's fine but I can see why they wouldn't want them, especially on the Stingray which was a perfect bass with a single pickup.

8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I'm a fan of the HS but you don't see them very often..but the HH's are all over the place!

Dan

9. Anyone got pics of the new pups cover moulding? I didn't know they'd changed it...

Oh, and I'm one of those who might consider an HH or HS 'Ray, but not a single pup model.

10. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Same here - I think opposed to "not moving very well" the double pup models open up the market to plays that would not have bought a one-pickup bass.

11. For you maybe, but I can say that I like having a bass that can do more than one thing. Even though I will normally find one tone I like and stick with it as long as I can, there are instances where I find that I need something radically different, and I need a bass that can do that. Seems to me that offering an HH model is a smart way to compete with G&L L2000's, which is a complete chameleon.

12. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    I still think they should have re-issued the Sabre instead of bringing out a multiple pickup Stingray or Sterling.

The Sabre was one of the best sounding Music Man basses I owned. I have a pre-Ernie Ball and an Erie Ball version and I wish I never sold them!

Getting off track a bit - I also with Music Man (and Fender) would start offering the "root beer" finish again. I LOVED that walnut look!

I have one of the HH Stingray 2005 Limited Editions (and 5 other H Stingrays) and while it's a nice bass (with more tonal options than a H Ray) - it's no Sabre. Either is an HH Bongo.

I miss my Sabres! :crying:

13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Lots of different opinions here. I've owned an HH Sterling since they first released them, I got one of the earliest made. I now have two and they are amazing basses, easily now my favorite EBMM bass ever. I also have an HH Stingray and love the tone.

I'll be selling my Sabre soon because the HH models sound much better to me. Neither of the HS Sterlings I've owned gave me the tone I wanted.

I sure hope they don't discontinue them, they are the perfect combination of classic Stingray/Sterling tones and a bunch of great new sounds. I've let most of my single H EB's go because I can get the same tone from my HHs.

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I couldn't disagree with you more bro. The Sabre is one of the greatest basses made. The HH kills live. Tons of Balls.

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Yep nothing EBMM has produced, although fine basses in their own right, has held up against this one yet. It ooozes the MM sound.
    Although the SR5 20th at NAMM was damn close.

Jim

rig014.
    Sabre001.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I love the HH Bongo 5 and wouldn't even bother gigging with any of my other basses in my metal band. My Fenders and Lakland 55-02 just don't cut through the 200 Marshall tube Watts my gui**** uses and the loud drummer I play with.

But... this PU config is terrible for slapping IMO. There is just no room to maneuver. I know some will say they slap with an EBMM HH (Bongo, Sterling, SR) but why bother when you can do it so much easier on many other basses?

The HH has more tonal cababilities than any other PU config out there IMO and I doubt they would scrap it.

17. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    I'm one of those people. I just recently purchased a Stingray HH 5-string and I LOOOOVE it. I wasn't too crazy about Musicmans before I tried this one.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Chalk me up as another who never seriously considered MM until the HH and HS models came out. Honestly, I didn't like the 'Ray much at all until I tried an HH fiver -- and I almost bought it on the spot even though I've never owned a five. I'd probably prefer the HS, because I suspect that neck humbucker soloed could get boomy on stage, but I still think the HH models are amazing.

I think the HS and HH models have clearly broadened the appeal of MM basses, so I doubt they're going away any time soon.

19. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I am seriously GASsing for a Bongo 5 HHP in Desert Gold. Seriously, bordering on obsession...

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Right now I'm on a huge Spector fix, but my Bongo GAS is for a Desert Gold 5 as well, but with H/SC. Every time I pick one up...

I feel your pain. :crying: