do you set up your rig differently for outdoor gigs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chuck3, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Have an outdoor gig coming up next weekend. The square footage for the sound to cover is not much different than we're used to indoors. But I haven't played a gig outdoors in a long time. I'm not worred about my DB since it goes through the PA. But for my BG, should I do something different? I have a Genz Benz 6.0 210 plus a GB Neox 112. Stack 'em? Put 'em back on their stands? Put 'em up on milk crates?

Or does it not make any difference? :confused:

2. I play thru a stack so, but before I did I used 1 Carvin BRX10.4 neo cab set on the stage or floor whatever we happened to be playing on. I would turn up the bass tone control a little when I played outside, plus the volume I would increase also.

3. if you have amp stands, get your cabs off the floor and as close to ear height as possible.

thats step one, step two is just to turn up :bassist:

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I use exactly the same set up in or out. A pair of 2x10s. Only change I would make if need be would be to add my second pair and a slightly more powerful power amp.

Paul

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I always bringer larger or more cabinets when playing outdoors. Low end seems to disappear outdoors, and more cone area solves this.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't do a single thing differently.

7. +1. That's been my method for many many years.
    Good luck! :D
    Shindig

8. Same rig for me. Now that I have three cabs, though, I might drag them all out to my next outdoor gig!

9. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Same rig . . . but the control settings are VERY different (re: indoors and outside) . . .

Inside it's all about getting rid of the "boom" . . .

Outside, you can pretty much EQ to taste . . . the sound of the bass doesn't change much as a result of the room's walls/reflections . . .

:cool:

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah then add the DI to the PA so you can be heard...

11. I thought about adding the DI to the PA. That's how I run the DB for the songs (about 1/3) where I use DB not BG. But I'm not sure there are any open channels left on the PA as it's configured.

I have a Hartke 115BXL that I could add using the line out of the GB 6.0 into a LM II. I know using the LM with the GB works, because I've done it before, but not with that Hartke. The Hartke is power rated for 200-250 watts, the LM II seems to deliver 300 watts at 8 ohms. Is that going to blow something up?:eek:

12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    If it's a small outdoor gig and you are carrying the listening area with just your stage cab(s), you probably won't want them elevated--as you'll already be blasting bass all over your corner of the stage (and/or county).

13. smithal3

smithal3

Apr 18, 2009
    Only thing I do is dial in a bit more Bass EQ since I don't have to worry about getting boomy

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021