Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you setup your bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Set it up yourself

138 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Take it too a pro

47 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Other

10 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I was wondering how many of you setup your basses (trussrod, bridge saddles, general action) or take it to a pro or local music shop to have it done?

:)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive always set up every aspect of my basses my self.

3. Yup, abit of DIY. Helps you learn what does what, so you know for the future.

4. of paying 50 bucks for a professional setup, I decided to learn how to do it for myself. If you don't really know what your doing, you probably owe it to yourself to take it to someone for a bit while you read and learn how to adjust things.

I'm actually happier with my setups now than I was previously with our local setup guy (great guy...actually we play together in a jazz group). I think it's because I take all the time I need to really intonate the instruments well in addition to the physically more obvious adjustments (action, truss rod, pickups, etc.).

Jay

5. I really want to learn how to do a full setup myself, but I've never been confident enough to do it on my basses. I took my Ibby to Jim Rubio at the ABG and it plays great!
    I'm pretty interested in Carl Thompson's videos about luthiery and setups...Off topic but could someone PM me with info on these?

6. I stopped doing my own setups when the price of my basses went past $1000. If a problem should occur during a neck adjustment I want someone very experienced with insurance to be handling it!

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I do both. Sometimes one, sometimes the other. I won't do anything drastic to my bass though.

8. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i'll adjust the bridge, and restring, etc. but i won't touch truss rods except for minute changes. jus don't wanna kill my bass :(

9. That isn't a very informed attitude. If you do something wrong, you might damage the bass. So the secret is to learn the right way and don't do it wrong.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    want to learn.

11. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I've never set up a bass before, but my dad has done enough to know what needs to be done. So I just watch and learn. Not a bad deal.

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Only you know how you want your instrument to feel and play.
    I do all my own. The only time I might consider taking it to someone else is if the bass has two truss rods. I set up double rods before but they are a bit tricky. I never can seem to get a double just right. :bassist:

13. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I do my bass setups entirely. I trust my work and I know exactly what needs to change to get it where I want it.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In my opinion, being able to do a basic setup is a required skill for serious players. You should be able to change strings, set action and adjust trussrod.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Same here. I'd like to get into it more though.

16. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
  17. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    For anyone living in the greater Washington, DC area, I have been on a mission to teach bassists to set up and maintain their own instruments.

Anyone who would like to improve their skills in this arena, please feel free to email me at:

kayebrian@yahoo.com

Thanks! Back to the post....

18. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    This book is mainly for guitar--probably 1/3 of it is on tremolo setups, and other non-bass stuff. But the section on general setup technique is good reading. Thing is, if you are not going to do your own finishing, nut work, or tremolo--Gary Willis' lengthy article on setups is just as good and it's FREE.

Do a search and you'll find it.....

19. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I've always done it myself, although I should probably take it to a pro one of these days just to see what they do different...especially about my nut work

20. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I do it myself. I also do the setups for my guitarist. I learned a lot from here, as well as from articles in magazines, websites, etc. I've been playing for 15 years, but I hadn't touched a truss rod until 4 years ago, simply because I didn't know what to do with it. All I was told was that if I messed with it too much, I could snap the neck. So, fear kept me from messing with it. But, I'm glad I did some reading on it and learned the right way to do a setup.