Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you slap or pop the D string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Figjam, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Always slap

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. Always pop

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Mix of both, depends on situation (explain)

68 vote(s)
    78.2%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lately ive found myself slapping the D string more than popping it, mostly in situations where im bouncing around from the D to the G a lot, i find it easier to slap the D. What do you do?

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been known to slap on all four. I've also been known to pop on all four. It just depends on what sound I want to make.

What do I do? Whatever the heck I want to do.

3. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I slap and pop on all 4 as well.

4. I pop all of them, maybe E a little less than the others. And, they all get the slap treatment.

5. FunkyBeek

FunkyBeek

Mar 23, 2004
    Hawaii
    yeah, i give it to all four too...it all depends on whats goin on.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I do both.

Typically, if the note I'm playing on the D is an octave follow on to something I thump on the E string, I pop the note on the D.

On the other hand, if I am doing a hammer-on, for example, playing an F, then a G, I'll thump the Fon the D string, the hammer-on the G.

Oddly enough, if I'm doing a pull-off (play the G on the D string, then pull of the G while fretting the F, for example) I tend to do that by plucking the D. I didn't even notice this difference in approach until I played around with a couple tunes to see if I could identify what my tendencies are.

Peace,

James

7. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    ahh, this is relieving. I always thought it was bad practice or technique to slap above the A string....and if some bass masters would scoff at me if they saw it. I never really had a need to do it, except for this Flea bass solo I was trying to play (note, *trying*). I sort of wondered if I was doing it right because it seemed to require slapping on the D and even G string. :p

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I usually pop it, but about 20% of the time I'll slap it up.

9. Levi

Levi

Apr 4, 2004
    I slap all the string but mainly E and A but i only pop G and D

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    D is the middle string on my bass (7 string), so it gets both done to it just about equally.

11. Goldsac

Goldsac

Mar 15, 2004
    The 'Hill
    I prefer do both on D and prefer to pop on the G. It's not like I have a rule against slapping the G though. Limiting yourself is pointless.

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Slap and Pop all 4, what ever sound I'm going for.
    peace
    -Ben

13. Testtubeboy

Testtubeboy

Mar 30, 2004
    Halifax
    I do somethin like alternate picking alot. Alternate between the slap and the pop; you get a smother sound and its faster in my opinion. When i saw wotten in ottawa it looked like that is what he was doing but my seats were not very good

14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

mmeeeeee tooooooooooo!

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both, equally. It depends on what else is happening with the other strings, my fingers, and the song.

16. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I slap all 4, but I'll only pop G and D. I don't like the pop sound on my A or E string...maybe it's just me. :smug:

17. I do whatever I need to get that sound. There is no right or wrong on what finger/thumb to use where. All there is, is an easy way, and a hard way. Do what YOU feel is easiest.

18. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I just finished watching Wooten's instructional video. He strongly urges people to learn to slap & pop all strings and in all combinations. After that, it's all up to the sound that you want to get, and what is easier for you to do in a given situation.

19. Pop.

And shake my head up and down like this guy.

:bassist:

20. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I said always pop, I wouldn't rule out slapping it, but it just doesn't sound all that great to me...

And yeah, I wobble my head around like this guy too :bassist: