Do you sleep in the day after a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
  2. No

24 vote(s)
  1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Do you sleep in the day after a gig?

I used to sleep until noon, but I find that I rarely do nowadays. Maybe it has to do with having a wife and a house.

How about everyone else?
  2. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Not if I have to work the next day...

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Since I get up @ 4:45 am to get ready for work, I sometimes take a power nap during lunch and they eat @ my workstation.
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

After weekend gigs I'd like to be able to sleep in but my daughters usually have me out of bed before 8:30AM. On a good day I'll have time to take a nap before the gig - if I can sleep. :eyebrow:

To me sleep is precious and rare! :D

I also work 50 to 60 hours per week in my day job. :eek:

- Art
  5. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    For the gigging musician: Uberman's Sleep Schedule

Try it, it leaves you with heaps of free time.
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It depends on what else is currently going on in my life. Right now, since I'm off from college, I sleep in until 1 or 2 in the afternoon (did that today, didn't get home from the gig until 5 this morning).

During school, I usually don't sleep in that late because my circadian rythmn is use to that schedule.

There's a club that only books on Sundays, and my band has started playing there. I'm also starting an acoustic project that will gig every Wednesday, so it will be interesting to see how that schedule works when I start back to school.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i used to, but i wake up to a bitching dog that's hungry and has to wife could care less if i sleep late, as long as i'm not a grouch....
  8. Whenever possible. If not, I try to go to bed early the next night, cause work is coming up sooner or later....

9. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    With a 3-year old and a day job, there's no way to 'sleep in' around my house.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I usually have to get up with the kids around 8 or 9 and drag ass around the house until late morning/noon when I catch a cat nap. Until that nap I'm a zombie. I do this pretty much every weekend.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have no kids, and a wife who has her own semi-pro hobby (horseback riding) so she cuts me slack about mine. So, I get to sleep in on weekends... 10 to 11-ish. At my age I don't do the middle-of-the-week thing... I'm not very productive with less than 4 hrs sleep.
  12. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

rarely sleep late is my situation .
    so yeah , i feel your pain ...

but when we first got married , she'd go to the gigs with me ,
    and then sleep in late with me . :)

these days i'm usually up before 7AM. , even after staying
    up till 2 or 3 ...
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it's a weekday, only an hour (up at 7 instead of 6). The idea is to not lose the day job :D

On a weekend, well hey hey it's the weekend :cool:
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I can sleep i nas much as i want, and i do.
  15. A lot of days I sleep until suppertime....even without gigs......I'm so lethargic. I usually try my best to be awake before noon, but no wonder, it's 4:30am right now.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If the kids will let me. They're teenagers now so it's a lot easier to sleep in than it was when they were 2 or 3. Gawd, my wife worked all day and they were so annoying back then..."I'm hungry, Daddy!" "I need my diaper changed!" "The man down the street just touched me!" It was all I could do to keep my eyes closed, let alone sleep.
  17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    What is this "sleep" you speak of?
  18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Not ususally, even if I want to. Went to a jam last night, home at about 12:30, in bed at 1:30, up for work at 6:30. I'll sleep when I'm dead. :D
  19. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Nope, I'm always up by 6:00 am even if I came home at 3:00 am from a gig. My father used to get up early and I always asked him why. He said that I'd know when I got to be his age...