1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you slide or play OFPF when you play a chromatic progression?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Deacon_Blues, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Hi,

The bass teacher I had a couple of years ago used to slide up with his left index finger when he played a chromatic progression like the passing notes before the chord changes in the Chameleon bass riff. To do that has always felt awkward to me, I prefer to keep my hand position steadier and use One Finger Per Fret for those four notes instead. It works well for me, and the sliding method works well for the teacher.

How do you do this? Just curious... :)

2. it just so happens that i was thinking of this exact topic today!

I slide, but it sounds great because i have GHS tapewounds, its the softer tapweound :rolleyes:

sounds awesome :smug:

but on other scales, i'm using one finger per fret.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use one finger per fret and shift. But that's just me.

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    It's personal preference really. When I play chameleon, I play it OFPF. If you're playing "true to the original" that'll give you the right sound. Sliding it would give you a smoother and more connected sound, but this part is more little fat staccato notes.

Whether you 1 finger it or OFPF it depends on the sound you want and where you plan to go next. Do you want it smoother or choppier? Do you want your first 3 or last 3 fingers to be ready after your chromatic line? If you're going up or down the neck, plan accordingly.

5. Usually I will play OFPF, but depending on the situation I will slide.

lowsound

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    +1

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

Same for me.

8. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    When I play Chemeleon I play synth bass just like Herbie did on the original. Or play the high "guitar part" Paul Jackson played on the record. Neither requires shifting. JK.

There's not a universal answer to this. Learn Donna Lee, and you'll have to do both!