1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you speak a second language?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by britrit, Oct 10, 2006.

1. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    Does anyone here speak 2 or more languages?

I'm taking french in school, but I find it hard to learn without speaking it all day or being in the country.

So yeah, I'm just wondering.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i speak french and english fluently.

also, i can read just about any Romance language... and german. but i don't always know what it is i'm reading. it's a little strange, i know.

3. I speak a bit Assyrian, not to be confused with Syrian.

Its a language that helped form Hebrew to my understanding.

4. Fluent Portuguese, and a dab of French and Spanish.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Conversational French.
    A little bit of Arabic.

6. I can get by in German, although considering I've just done two years of a degree in it I should really be a bit more fluent :meh:

7. Irish (Gaelic) and English fluently.... conversational French

8. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Yes

English = First Language

Afrikaans = Second Language

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yes..

Icelandic: Native language
    English: pretty fluently
    Danish: I can get by, both talking and reading.

10. Is Gaelic very different from English? in my ignorance, I figured it was english derived, but with a stronger accent by far...

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

English is my first language and I'm fluent in French.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Gaelic is an entirely different language. The accents that come from Ireland, England are Scotland are purely accents.
    Gaelic, on the other hand, is an actual language.

Bloody hard too. My mom's name is in Gaelic is Ebhleen. It's pronounced Eileen.

My mom used to speak Gaelic. Went to an all girl boarding school in Scotland, and they taught it there. She doesn't remember much. Just the basics.

-Mark

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    That being said, I can speak English. I know little French.

BUT, i'm trying to Learn Spanish. I've been studying Spanish for a month now, and I know more Spanish than I do french. Which is weird because i've had French classes from Grade 1 to grade 9 :D

-Mark

14. im learning danish, its quite fast seeing as im living in the country so can practice it quite a bit, also can speak maori, but not fluently.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It wasn't Gillespie's was it?

16. Gaelic is a generic term used to describe the Scottish and Irish languages, which are closely related but independant languages. They are part of an umbrella group of languages called "Celtic" Languages, which includes Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Breton (nprthern france), and Manx.

As correctly noted, they are different languages to English (as opposed to speaking English with an Irish accent!!), and Irish is probably closer to French is phrasing etc than English, e.g. days of the week in French - Lundi, Mardi etc, and in Irish, it's De Luan, De Mhairt, but yeh - copletely different and strange sounding language to those who have never heard it, which I assume would be alot of people on this forum!

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dutch: first language

English; rather good, people who lived in the States have complimented me on my English.

French; conversational level, good enough for simple conversation, used to be a lot better.

Spanish; a few words

German; conversational level, good enough for conversation.

Swedish; a few words, I'd like to learn more.

Welsh; a few words but a bloody complicated language because it's a completely different typology than germanic or roman languages. Shifting accents in plural, consonants that are hard to grasp, etc. Also, the opportunity to actually practice it is almost non existant.

18. Welsh is famous for having phenominally long words. For example, the longest word in Welsh is a town name and is spelt Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Guide to pronounciation:

Two Extra Vowels

Welsh has two extra vowels .... "y" ( pronounced "uh" as in thorough, or sometimes "i" as in tin) and.... "w" (pronounced "oo") as in room.

A village named Cwmtwrch, which does not appear to have any vowels, actually has two and is pronounced "Coomtoork."

Pen-y-bont is pronounced Pen-uh-Bont, as is the case whenever "y" is used to link two words in this way. eg Betws-y-Coed

( Betoos-uh-Co ed).

When "y" is not isolated by hyphens as above it is usually pronounced as in English eg.. Gwyn is pronounced "G oo in" (Gwin) and a common house name in Welsh is Ty-Gwyn ( Tea Gwin ) which means White House.

Aberystwyth is therefore pronounced ... Aber i st oo i th. (Aberistwith )

Four Specials to Remember

These are the four pronunciations special to Welsh which are additional or different to English...

So that in Welsh ...

"u" is pronounced "ee". Cwmdu is pronounced... Coomdee.

"f" is pronounced "v". Fan-Fach is pronounced... Van-Vark.

( Notice that the sound of the two "a"s changes as it often does in English. e.g. match, park. In Welsh before the letters "ch" it is pronounced as the long "a" as in Bach( Bark). It's most common pronunciation however is as the short "a" in Pat or Aberystwyth)

The English "f" as in fish is represented in Welsh by "ff" and "Fforestfach" is pronounced in Welsh as "forestvark"

"dd" is pronounced " th" as in thing. So that Giedd is pronounced "Gi eth"

"ll" is pronounced "cl" as in clan. So that Llansamlet is pronounced " Clansamlet"

(My Dad's Welsh!! and speak minimal amounts of it)

19. Well,

French
    Norwegian
    English
    And some German

20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    See, this LL thing, on the site I used (a university site), they said the LL is actually formed by placing you tongue like your saying an L, but you don't move the tongue and blow out air through the opening left or right of your tongue.

Probably a dialect thing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021