1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you stick up for your music?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Mar 21, 2013.

1. (If this shouldn't be in Band Management, I'm sorry! I just didn't know where else it would go...)

When you're in a band, and someone makes a suggestion (not a correction, a suggestion,) do you stick up for what you played? I never really do, to be honest. If someone tells me to do something else, I usually will, even if I disagree completely (people-pleaser with an inferiority complex...). Do you stick up for your playing, so to speak?

2. If their suggestion sounds good then why not

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I'm an ideas guy when it comes to playing music. I love writing my own parts and there have only been a few rare instances where anyone suggested I play something different. Even fewer times when I thought thier idea was better than mine. Not trying to sound arrogant, it's just the way I feel about it.

4. I'm usually willing to try something a different way if it stands to make the song better. I can't see how it would do any good to completely dismiss a suggestion without trying it first.

5. 9 out of 10 I'll give their suggestion at least a try. If it's better for the song than what I had and I can "feel it", I'll keep it in use and try to improve it. If not, I explain why my way is better, even if it's about the feel. If I'm unsure, I'll ask everyone. Recording variations and different approaches helps a lot. In my opinion, if you think your way truly works better than the suggested one, you need to stand up for it. The band should understand. In the end, it's all about serving the song.

6. najko

najko

Aug 7, 2012
    I'm usually told what to play at first, and then I shape it as I like. I don't get negative but positive comments after doing so.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I always listen to suggestions. Some I like, some I modify, some I politely reject because I have a different approach.

One should always be open to good ideas...in music, at work and in life generally.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    ^THIS^

9. intheory

intheory

Nov 17, 2009
    SW Florida
    The current band that I'm in has a musical director. I always listen when he gives me suggestions. Sometimes I "fight for my cause," but most of the time I feel like his recommendations do not detract from the music of the band as a whole, and I know that he is thinking of the whole, so usually do what he asks. :)

10. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Yep, this. I had to modify or re-do about 80% of my basslines on our upcoming record at the behest of the producer and main songwriter. In most of the cases I ended up liking the re-written or revised lines better once I had a grasp of what they were trying to with a given song. It's essential to be open-minded and remember that the song comes first.

That said, there is one song they absolutely murdered for me and I'd prefer it was left off the record altogether because in gutting what I did I feel they took away the rolling movement underneath that I felt the song needed. But... you win some you lose some.

11. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    to try a suggestion once or twice never hurts, if it works why not , if not , such is life

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm pretty big on being a team player. If my bandmates don't like something I'm playing or singing, I am definitely interested in hearing about it. They may know something I don't. I only work with professionals I trust, (for the most part,) and they may be helping me to sound better.

I don't know why we would "stick up" for something we are playing. If it's good, it will stick up for itself.

13. In a band setting, if one person wants me to play something differently - I'll always give it a shot, and then see what everyone else thinks

14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

If someone has a suggestion, I try it. If I like it, I go with it. If not, I ask the rest of the band what they think. In the end, I trust the musicians around me. Because sometimes, when you've created something, your ego can get in the way of hearing it the way others do.

Being willing to do this has nothing to do with inferiority complexes or sticking up for yourself. It's a sign of musical maturity.

15. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    You just never know what's going to work unless you try it. I'm always willing to try somebody else's idea. I certainly don't have a monopoly on ideas, even though I'm the main arranger. Besides, listening to & respecting other people's ideas makes them more likely to listen to & respect my ideas.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Good points. If someone else suggests something for me to try, I won't even pass judgement on the idea until we run it one time. Once everyone hears it in context, then we can have a discussion. But, like mellow said, if it works, it will stick up for itself.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I composed a bass line for our version of "Use Me." Our version has a distorted guitar playing the clav part, and the song just has a more "rock" feel than Bill Withers' version. I thought the whole song was too over the top, and I demanded we play to the original recording a few times, and try and get it to groove more. I played the note for note bass line from the record.

What happened?

The band had a discussion, and we decided to cop some of the feel from the record, and take a little bit of the edge off, but no one liked that bass line. Mine was more "rock," and held the bottom down better, and I was happy to play it that way. We all listened and played together, and discussed it. It was a very productive way of going about it.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One of my FAVORITE jams! My favorite way of doing it is to start off laid back like the original and then build it to an all out rock/funk song (with a total breakdown in the middle somewhere.... like the song fell off a cliff... and then climb back up again).

Sorry for the derail.

19. depends who it is... A bandmate? I'll listen to them. A friend? I might listen to them. Some drunk dude at a bar? Probably won't listen to them.

20. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I actually push for constructive criticism when it's not pandering to do so. I've found that as an original band it's too common to find myself surrounded by yes-men and women and can't get an honest take. On the few occasions that people have come right out with constructive criticism I feel that the steps taken following have helped the band progress immensely.