Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you still have your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, Sep 26, 2005.

do you still have your first bass?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2005.
  1. heck yeah!

121 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. sold it!

77 vote(s)
    33.9%
  3. broke it!

9 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. stolen! tracking the thief w/ gps

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. other...

15 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    my washburn xb100 is still with me... how bout ya'll?

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    It was a Gibson EBO, which I got for my birthday in 1970. I traded it in 1975 for a new Fender Jazz (natural finish, maple fingerboard, block inlays, etc.). I sold that one in 1976 after getting a used 1971 Fender Precision...
    Okay, I'd better stop there... this could go on for a while... :smug:

3. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

at least my local are. Found the identical year model etc.Cool Decca short scale.

Still looking for my second bass a JC Penny semi hollow.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    1981 Hondo Longhorn. Complete with original fitted hard case. It is used used and used and has only been set up once. It is beautiful.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Mine was a black 1981-82 Peavey T-40, which was stolen out of my frat house in 1986. I still miss it, but get similar vibes from my most recent acquisition -- a 2004 MIA P-bass with maple fretboard and black pickguard, just like that T-40. It feels like home!

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the washburn is maybe four feet behind me as i type. :cool:

7. Yes, I still have my crappy Harley Benton. :smug:

8. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    A piece of crap Ibanez.

easily the worst bass I ever touched.

the strings were so taut on that fret board, it was as if I was trying to get pitch from a suspension bridge.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sold it.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    My first was a J. Reynolds p-bass copy. I've made some upgrades -- SD Quarter-Pound pups, new strings, new pots, added a 2-band preamp, refinished the neck. Since then, I've built a jazz bass (not from a kit -- totally from scratch), and now I'm starting on build #3 and 4. I still play it a LOT. It has a super lightweight poplar body, so it's great for long sessions, or simply when I need a P-bass sound.

11. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    I sold my 69 P Bass in 1978 for $150.00. About 5 years ago i was working at a house & the lady told me her late husband was the guy that bought my bass & that she had pictures of it. She had a whole photo album of her late husband with my bass. The bass is still in their family & I've been trying to buy her back. I haven't been successful as of now but i'll keep trying.

12. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Still have it. A '79 Musicman Stingray I bought new in the spring of 1980. It still plays and sounds great today and is in 100% original condition (well, except the strings. lol). Heck, I still have the HSC and MM Strap that came with it. Heh heh... :D

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    MIM P bass, still my main bass.

14. Magnum black body with 02 bootons . Plug and Play . Seiled for change buy keyboard . I supposed it will be intersting to learn , but broken in christmas and i give to a kid and return to my line in music with others bass : acustic Krafter (4 strings) and Fine(5 strings) to begin my new job with tecnology at UNITECH - Tecnologia e Informação in Brazil .

15. Darwin didn´t known about the future XXI and nor about the begining under 1900´s ,1800´s...1000´s,900´s,800´s...100´s,90´s,10´s... :bawl:

16. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Yes... although for a while I didn't.
    I sold it to a friend and he kept it for maybe 20 years.
    When I offered to buy it back he gave it to me with the instruction that if I didn't want it any more I send it back.
    I'll keep it. Thanks.
    a 1966 Epiphone Rivoli. with original Hard Case.
    and original big Humbucker, now modified with coil tap switch.
    Series / Parallel / Single

Love that bass...

17. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    my Cort standard that every body mistakes for a fender P-bass..

iv been trying to sell it for quite some time now but no takers...

18. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I had a Tobias Growler 4. The neck twisted beyond repair, or I'd still have it. I traded it straight up for a brand new G&L SB-2 with Lake Placid Blue finish and a pearloid pickguard. This bass gets all the attention when I take it with me to try amps. Funny, indeed. This bass RULES!

19. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    71 Precision......bought it in '82. Still with me. I don't play it much any more.

20. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Red Fender Bullet. Selling it was the best thing I ever did. Never liked it but it was all I could afford at the time.

I do however regret selling the Black Guild Pilot I bought afterwards.