1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Suck Now, or Are You Better Than Ever?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 2F/2F, Feb 7, 2021.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just wondering...

Given that the vast majority of gigs, and probably practices, have been called off for a year or so now, how many of you feel like your chops have got worse? Better? Is it gonna be rough when your groups finally get together again...or better than before?

I would say that I am personally better, since I have had more free time to noodle at home.

But I worry for our drummer, and the singer/guitarist. The lead guitarist, I am less worried about. He seems like the type that would keep his chops up even without a weekly band session.

It might be rough getting ourselves back up to speed as a band.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm about the same. I've neither gained nor lost "chops".

I've rehearsed with the band a few times recently. We still got it. It wasn't rough at all. Like riding a bike....

3. PMagers

PMagers Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Philly, PA
    Both. I think I suck a little less.

4. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I feel I'm playing better than ever. I am a jazzer, mostly with trios and the like. I have bolstered my list of known standards, written a few tunes, and really gotten pretty good at sight reading charts and learning songs by ear. I feel like I've used my time wisely, but I'm getting antsy about getting back with my musical friends. I think it will go pretty well.

StyleOverShow and thabassmon like this.
  5. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes. Thank you for pointing out that the two options are not necessarily mutually exclusive! :D:D:D

PMagers, C Stone and Gsnorgathon like this.
  6. I suck more at playing bass, better than ever at writing and recording stuff. It's going to take a while to get my chops back to speed for playing out.

thabassmon, btmpancake and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Gsnorgathon

Gsnorgathon

Jan 15, 2020
    I'm with PMagers and 2F/2F. I'm better than ever. I still suck.

Crispus, bassb66 and Dragan like this.
  8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    My chops are the same. It’ll be turbo blast as soon as my band mates and I have been vaccinated. We’re chomping at the bit.

9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I try to play 30-60 minutes at least 5 times a week even without rehearsals

bumperbass likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    No, and yes.

11. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I suck now AND I'm better that ever!

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    At bass? I’m trying to be studious. And I’ve been playing guitar about 2 hours a day so I think that is cool too.

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    10 years ago, after a decade long hiatus from wrist issues, I started over. I really sucked. Now, a decade of serious practice later, I’m better than I ever was. I may not be a virtuoso, but I don’t suck.

NOVAX and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I probably suck a little less. New originals project meets weekly and we're getting ready to record.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    My self assessment would be my speed is a little slower than my peak (I've never worked on speed, but I can safely say that soloing on very fast bebop would be a bit of a mess these days), my repertoire has lessened a little as well but I would also say that my phrasing, dynamics, chord voicings and melodism is perhaps the best it has ever been.

I am more than happy to give up speed for musicality, most of the tunes I've forgotten are ones I didn't like anyway (which is how I forgot them, I don't play nor listen to them). So I am fine with my current level.

But that doesn't stop me from wanting to continue to improve my composition, songwriting, singing, effectively integrating effects, playing multiple parts, chord melodies, improvisation, arranging, recording and mixing.

16. Jasmeece

Jasmeece

Apr 20, 2017
    Better than I have even been ..... still think I suck

17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    At first I was adequate. Then I became serviceable. Now they tell me I'm ideal. Perfectly imperfect. A loose cannon. A runaway train. I'm a bass playing singer. I'm a singing bass player. Million dollar feet and five and ten cent hands.
    Lucky and grateful just to be alive. I'm better than I've ever been. But remember: you're only as good as your last performance.

Peace.

18. Dlew919

Dlew919

Dec 7, 2020
    Sydney
    I cracked a couple of techniques - pinch harmonics, slapping (which I could always do, but found a better way of doing) - but I think I've lost a bit of 'bass groove', so back to the woodshed...

thabassmon likes this.
  19. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    Yes

20. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I was pretty good just 6 weeks ago.
    Now I suck.

has everything to do with the acquisition of the TB10.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021