1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Suck Now, or Are You Better Than Ever?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 2F/2F, Feb 7, 2021.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Worse. Done about 6 gigs and seldom pick up a bass. Bummer overall

2. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I kept up my calluses. And stayed on top of the tricky stuff. And some day, got dang it, I'm gonna get to do my thing again. I'm not a wish-upon-a-star type, so I understand it may be a longer way away than I'd prefer. But I want to be there. Gives me reason to live.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I am constantly playing through new stuff that I like regardless if I play them with a band or not, always trying to broaden my horizons. In this way I dont get bored or stuck in a rut , I'm doing it because I want to not because I have to. Lately its been alot of jazz standards.

4. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Better than ever, what with lessons, ear training, learning to read etc. etc. COVID freed up a bunch of time that had been spent making sure that I was on top of the band tunes; once that was out the window, I could do whatever I wanted.

StevieMac likes this.
  5. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    No way I'm better; I've barely picked it up in a year. Don't ask.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  6. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    No change, we still suck :)

two fingers likes this.
  7. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I'm better at some things, worse at others.

osv likes this.
  8. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aha! I thought so!

9. Singing while Playing bass has really improved this year. All that spare time was put to good use.

31HZ likes this.
  10. I want need one of these....

picture-id598545132?k=6&m=598545132&s=170667a&w=0&h=80McCBwA6wl7NXOAjMpJCO2BBEclXhNNFb2QAD780IA=.jpg

StevieMac likes this.
  11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I worry about getting rusty and not playing so well after the pandemic.

So far I'm playing 2 or 3 hours a day and 2 or 3 days a week. I do new stuff, I worked through all of Stevie Wonder's albums, followed by Bobby Bland, Robben Ford and a few others, and I worked through all the set lists I've played in bands over the last few years. Some days I like playing familiar stuff and other days I try to push myself.

The plan is to come out of this like nothing happened, and playing better.

misterCRUSH likes this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    And turn the knob to the left... <----- that's left if you're like me and wondering where is it again.

13. Meenkya

Meenkya

May 1, 2019
    I'm "playing" the best I've ever played in my 5 month bass career! Man, do I suck. However, I do love it!

StevieMac, Tendril and misterCRUSH like this.
  14. My chops are out in the Dog House and I haven't went out to search for them yet...

15. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Yup a bit better perhaps. Improved my slap skills on the slab and my intonation on the upright much improved through daily sessions. Also play guitar and piano regularly nowadays. Just finished off Hotel California on all four instruments yesterday.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  16. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    As of this moment , I think I suck . My last gig was last March and I have already passed on a dozen bookings
    for 2021 , last night included . Practicing in my basement is okay , but I think not playing live is doing me in .

17. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    I am definitely better now than I was before the social distancing was implemented. Within my narrow playing scope (I just play for fun) my chops have improved dramatically. I am nailing (or getting close to) certain songs and techniques I've always shyed away from because they were too difficult.

18. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    For better or for worse I somewhat got better, yet somewhat got worse, all things being equal, I am another, always the same.

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I think Toby Keith said it best:

I ain't as good as I once was
    I got a few years on me now
    But there was a time, back in my prime
    When I could really lay it down
    If you need some bass tonight
    Then I might have just enough
    I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once
    As I ever was

20. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I've been trying to learn more new concepts and delve into unfamiliar things since there have been no gigs to practice specific music for. So i do feel i have progressed as a musician, and know more than i knew before. I think my chops are better, but my stamina is likely diminished which will fix itself when i get back to playing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021