1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do You Suck Now, or Are You Better Than Ever?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 2F/2F, Feb 7, 2021.

1. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    This. I've had so much more time to play this last year.

misterCRUSH likes this.
  2. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    Excelling even better at the suckage since 1973

3. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Yes!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm going to be 60 in June, and while I'm better in some ways, I'm not as good in others due to the fact that Covid retired me and I'm actually enjoying not playing for the first time in my life. So I just don't pick it up and practice like I used to.

BurningSkies likes this.
  5. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    A bit of both? My chops are great, but I haven't played with other people since December.

6. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    ~8-9 months ago I would have answered yes to both ends of this query. Since then new anti-spasmodic meds have had the side effect of making maintaining concentration & timing a more difficult endeavor for any of my musical pursuits & the resulting decrease of solo play time & elimination of basically any opportunities to play w/ others have me slipping in what chops & song catalog I had to be certain

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  7. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Worse. Recently picked up my bass just to noodle. So, I am getting some callouses back.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just as bad as ever but my hearing is shot so it's a wash.

Riis

westrock likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    There is a vast vast gray area between "Suck" and "Better Than Ever"

I'm in that gray area.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I've been practicing more than I have been for decades, but after seeing the clip my buddy posted from last week's duo gig, I guess I need to hit it even harder. :eek:

11. oddeotek

oddeotek

Mar 28, 2010
    Sammamish, WA
    I’ve been a singer/bass player for 56 years now and, at 69 years old, I feel that I have lost a bit of my game as a bass player but probably nothing most people would notice. To be honest, I rarely practice anymore but it’s mostly that I’m lazy. I am fortunate that my voice has held up well and I may have added a note or two to my range but I am very aware that I’m running on borrowed time there since age has caught up with almost all of my vocal hero’s.
    Here is a video from pre-lockdown that shows off my voice more than my bass playing.

VgOIfR9bPP0

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    12BitSlab likes this.
  12. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I was way better forty years ago. Heck, I was better one year ago. Apparently, not playing for a long time affects performance.

13. I think for me it’s both. Sitting at home I’ve gotten interesting in learning again. So in some ways I feel like my playing is better because I’ve been pushing myself to improve. Where I can definitely tell things are worse is endurance. When I practice at home it’s never for long periods of time like I’ve done for so long with long band rehearsals because the band members are so spread out. Basically right now I’d be excited to play a 45 minutes one set originals gig. But if I had to play a 3-4 hour cover gig I’d probably be in trouble

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021