Do you take care of your hands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hellsgamerz, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Obviousely YES, but I mean like this: I have a friend who plays piano and who is really concerned about the way his hands look. Puts vaseline on them in winters (even though he goes to school by train :eek: ), uses all that stuff my mom has to keep her hands looking good. But I don't really care about how they look. What do you think? Should I, or is the only thing that matters the music and not the look :bassist:
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I use cornhusker's lotion because my hands dry out *really* badly. Because of how nasty some of the equipment we get to work on is, I have to wash my hands a whole lot during the day, which tends to make my hands and especially my knuckles dry out.

But I don't do it because I want them to be pretty, I do it because it hurts when the skin on my knuckles starts to crack.
  3. The largest organ in the human body is the skin. You only get one when you're born, and so you have to take care of it. This includes things like keeping it clean, and preventing it from drying out, especially in the winter months (especially here in New England). I use skin creams all the year round - I used to have eczema when I was a kid - God! it was so embarrassing! I felt like a leper! When I got older and realized life was an "only pass this way once" scenario, then I started taking care of my skin. The best skin care stuff I ever found was "Sorbolene" when I was in Australia once. I used to be able to get it though a place in Canada, but they no longer carry it. In the USA, the only thing I've found which comes anywhere near "Sorbolene" is "Cetaphil".

Well, you did ask…

- Wil

BTW - The concert-pianist Alfred Brendel used to get so worried about damaging his hands, that he would put band-aids on the tips of his fingers - I wonder if he still does? It looked quite strange, especially in the close-ups of his hands on the keyboard.
  4. Wil, great quote for a signature!

As far as putting on hand lotion, I don't like getting cracks on my knuckles and I can't stand when my fingers split open. Lotion reduces the risk of that happening, I'm just not religious enough about putting it on all the time- but it helps.