1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you think a highway one jazz bass would be a great first jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jan 7, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I have a love/hate relationship with jazz basses. Had a few knock offs that hummed, but no Fender. I'm wondering, should I skip MIM and go straight to highway 1? Do these things hum loud? Are these good for recording purposes?

2. They all hum when you're not using both pickups at the same volume level (unless you've shielded the cavities or have some type of noiseless pups in it).

It's hard to say which is better because yes, the highway 1 is MIA but they have that flat finish which I personally am not a fan of. The pickups in the highway 1 are definitely superior to the MIM ones. If you buy, look for a used either way - you'll save a ton.

3. I've got a Highway 1 P-bass that I absolutely love. It's usually my go-to bass (I've got American Deluxe 4 and 5 string J's that have sat because the P just has that "it" I'm looking for). They seem to be good basses overall.

4. My 06 Highway One was my first Jazz bass, and now I'm hooked. Its a great bass. I don't like the Highway 1's (before the upgrade), quite as much, for three reasons. They don't have graphite in the necks, they don't have a BadAss II bridge, and the finish isn't quite as nice.

My Highway One (upgraded model) was well worth the money I paid. And yes, the single coils hum. But its barely noticable on my amp, unless I'm really close to it. Another good reason to go to the upgraded Highway One is that they come pre-shielded, which really helps a lot.

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    IMHO you can't go wrong with a Highway 1. I owned one ( and regret selling it ) and it blew the doors off the three MIM jazz basses I owned before it.

6. If that's the first jazz bass you buy, it will take you a long time to outgrow it.

7. +1

I'm looking at other Fenders, but only because I'd get something different, like a Geddy. I'm skeptical that I'm ever gonna find something that I'll like as much in the same price range.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    "Do you think that a Hwy ONE would be a great first jazz bass??""

yup ... or second, or third, or fourth, fifth, sixth, etc ... even better if you can find a Hwy 1 ... and then put the other $300 toward somethng else that you needed ...

9. i think it would make a great first bass. make sure you play some first too to pick a good one. Quality control on these bad boys is decent, but not spectacular.

10. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'd also check out the Geddy Lee jazz... IMO it's a better bass than the Highway One and it has an amazing tone.

11. YESSSSS !!!