Do you think adults who collect the toys they had as children are weird?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 27, 2021.

1. YES

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. NO

47 vote(s)
    63.5%
  3. Carrot juice mimosas

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do you think adults who collect the toys they had as children are weird? I'm proudly weird, so go figure! But, I grew up with Transformers in the 80s, and they still look as cool and fun to me today as 30 plus years ago!

RattleSnack and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Everyone's weird (from someone else's perspective). I don't find people who collect childhood toys weird, seems ok to me, but I do find people who still follow their childhood school sports teams a little weird. When asked why I didn't still follow my college team, I said "because I grew up". Much offense was taken. But hey, that's just me.

Wanker_Joe, DirtDog, murphy and 5 others like this.
  3. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    honestly, by age 9-10 all i cared about was guitars and i'm still buying stuff i lusted after as a kid.

i don't see much of a difference. I don't need steve vai's guitar. sure, i can play it and use its functions, but it's effectively the same as wanting the car you thought was cool as a kid, or the hip toys from the day.

DirtDog, MAJOR METAL and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I don't understand the collector mentality in general. I like having things I use, not things to display or store.

DirtDog, kesslari, dwm74 and 3 others like this.
  5. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    No, but what other people are into isn't something I concern myself with overly much.

gln1955, kesslari, Passinwind and 3 others like this.
  6. I know people that collect funko pops. Honestly, you do you, life is short.

fig, J_Bass, FilterFunk and 1 other person like this.
  7. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    As long as it doesn't have a negative affect on others (mostly people you live with) or causing you to develope negative or unhealthy behavior,...... Do whatever the eff makes you happy.

gln1955, fig, S-Bigbottom and 3 others like this.
  8. I still enjoy having all the KISS collectibles I've collected over the years. Including three sets of Funko pops mentioned above.

It's an individual thing, you do you. I have the space for them and no financial impact to the family so what's the harm?

FilterFunk likes this.
  9. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Not inherently, no. But even if I did, they shouldn't care.

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Tenn. & NJ
    I have 100s of Hot Wheels.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you might be my son's age, and he and his friends collect transformers. also star wars figures and vehicles, and he and my husband collect and talk about hot wheels.

i buy toys i didn't have as a child. as a tom boy, i never liked dolls. as an over-60 year old, i now own 2 barbies 9made to move barbies) and 4 ball jointed dolls.

so do my husband and son. i only have maybe 20.

bobba66, murphy, kesslari and 3 others like this.
  12. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    Collections are great until your kids yard sale 'em out because they are tired of cleaning out the crap from the house so they can sell it.

DirtDog and murphy like this.
  13. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Tenn. & NJ

I only buy the ones that represent an actual "real" car from the present or past. None of the goofy stuff. I will buy the same one in several colors if it's available

MAJOR METAL and ajkula66 like this.
  14. Oig

Oig Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Nah, you do you man - whatever floats your boat.

MAJOR METAL and equill like this.
  15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    LEGOS are great at ANY age.

16. I don’t collect them, but having sons and now a grandson, I still get to play with Hot Wheels and seem like a cool grandad, and not the kid, I still feel like at times.

:whistle:

murphy, ajkula66, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  17. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Could not agree with this more. I never cared about specific sets (see 'Kragle' - yes, my son is seven), but having an enormous hoard of Legos to build your own weird creations is awesome. My son paints/tapes minifigs to make new characters out of them.

S-Bigbottom and pcake like this.
  18. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I was into Legos, and it seems they just started partnering with stuff like Star Wars and Batman, which isn't a bad thing, but I just liked the blocks and not needing some specicialized piece you can use in exactly one place. Not really a collectable toy, unless you keep display models, which I didn't do as a kid. So that's a no for me. Unless you count pocket knives. Definitely been playing with those for 30+ years.

C Stone, MAJOR METAL and pcake like this.
  19. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    No.
    Well, yes.
    But in a good way...:)

RayWithFlats likes this.
  20. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    I think collectors in general are pretty weird, but then, normal is boring.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021