Do you think bass is easier than guitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I myself am a bassist (obviously) and I have heard on many occasions people saying that bass is easier than guitar what do you think?
  2. Ugh, worst question ever! The way I see it is to some yes it is easier, to others it is harder. Because "easy" is an opinion you cant make a general statement that will be true for everyone. Some aspects of it are easier for some people, and some are harder. I hear "bass is easier to play, but harder to master" garbage all the time, and again i disagree. Its all about what you like to play. And in anycase who cares, its not like we play bass cause its hard, we play because we love it. I see no point in getting all caught up in pissing matches with people about what instumets are harder to play then others. Just play because you want to and let people make their own conclusions.
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think most beginners find it easier to play something that is recognizable as a song on bass. The single note lines are probably easier to grasp. I can't say because I started on guitar and only switched because I was in a band with two guitar players and since the other guy was better I switched to bass. That was back in the stone ages. I still keep my guitar chops up but I don't find it easier to play bass over the guitar. Knowing how to play both reasonably well makes it even harder to answer.
  4. silent method makes a very valid point.

For me, guitar isn't/wasn't comfortable to play.... my hands felt squished, the high strings cut into my fingers... I didn't enjoy playing it much - so I never spent much time learning it. (If I had, I'd be able to play more than a few chord progessions and probably would have become acustomed to the feel).

When I got my bass, the bigger neck and thicker strings just felt like "home" immediately.

So for me it wasn't that bass was easier, it was that it felt more natural.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I don't think guitar is any easier.
    You must have a desire, to play any instrument.
    If you want to play something, then it becomes easier.
    You can lern to some degree, to play anything.
  7. Most people who say that are guitarists that just tried playing a bass and noticed that it is easier to play than their guitar was as they began playing... but honestly guitars are really easy to play as well when you know how to play bass.

EDIT: Of course some people who play neither will say that as well, but you can just ignore them.
  8. We are all missing the point here, saying bass is easier is a PERSONAL OPINION, it may be easier for one person but that dosnt mean that it is an easier instrument. And like i said before who cares, how much of an ego problem do you have that you have got to be playing the hardest instrument, I am less worried about people thinking what i do is easy and more concered about doing it becuase i LOVE TO.

9. [rant (again)]

This is a topic that really gets me fired up. Just to think that there are players amoung us that are soo concerned with how people preseive them that they spend hours arguing to the death that the bass is a hard instrument to play when talking about anything in terms of easy and hard is an opinion. Just play it the best you can, if you wanted to do it just because it is easy or hard then you are playing for the wrong reasons IMO. I play because I love music, I love everything about music, I love the felling i get playing my bass, i love the power, the sound, the way it almost rumbles against my stomach, I play bass because I LOVE the instrument, I dont waste time arguing with people that my instrument is harder, sounds better, more important then theirs because it is all personal opinion. So instead of asking is bass easier then guitar I think you should ask

What is easier for YOU to play?

How can someone tell me that bass is easier for me to play then guitar? It may be for them and AGGGGGH i hate this topic im going to go sip tea and make fun of the people who flame this post, cause I know there is going to be a lot of you

10. hmm, reading that again i have come to to conclusions

1. I cannot type or spell
    2. I need to calm down

EDIT: this is good tea
  11. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Who cares if it's easier? Last I checked, I don't get paid based on the number of strings. If I did, I'd still get more than the guitar player, cuz I have a 7-string in my arsenal. But it doesn't matter. I get paid to make people happy, and that's where it's at...
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I found it easier to play bass, my friends(guitarists) probably have a hrad time playing bass because the only thing they get is fret buzz :rolleyes:

Also, it depends on what you play..

It's not easier to play like victor wooten etc than playing a powerchord on a guitar, and i do also think victor wooten and the other elite bassist could stand up to any guitarist..

And if it's easier to play bass tahn guitar then any guitarist should be able to play a their flashy guitar solo on a 6stringed bass tuned like a guitar? If not bass should be harder...
  13. AHHHHHHHHHH this logic makes no sence! DUDE come on, "if he cant play his solo on a 6 string bass, bass must be harder" THEY ARE DIFFREENT INSTRUMENTS MADE FOR A DIFFREENT PURPOSE. my gosh, like serisouly its like saying oranges taste better then apples it is an OPINION
  14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So why the hell compare the instruments?
  15. Thats what I am saying!

Who really cares if someone thinks one is easier then the other, just play it because you LOVE to, not because you will get mad props
  16. I would love to see a poll added to this with the following options

It dosnt matter
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, if you want to play bass it is.

Ever try to play bass on a guitar? Sounds pretty weak if you ask me.
  18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    of course it is.
    that's why i do it.
    being a virtuoso is a whole different topic. yes, it's easier to learn the roots of a song than the chords (although knowing the chord structures will make you a better player by far), yes it's easier to start playing with other people when you play bass. big deal. i like playing the bass, and i like the fact that i am in great demand because i am a competent bass player with adequate equipment. for every guy like me there are twenty guitar players with the skill and the gear. guess who has an easier time finding gigs?