1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you think I should get a fretless carvin icon 6er?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I am thinking of buying a fretless 6er for under $2000. My 2 main options are a used Roscoe SKB3006 or getting a custom Carvin Icon6. If I get the Carvin I have though of a walnut top, lined board, and perhaps ash? or mahogany? or walnut? body I'd really appreciatte your thoughst and suggetions. Thannks in advance fellow TBers!

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Based on what criteria?

MM

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I'd get the Roscoe SKB3006.

4. Roscoes are very nice looking & have a great reputation, but I prefer 34" scale, particularly on fretless. Carvins are a very good value, but IME, you may be better off spending extra for what you really like. Both of these basses, if I'm not mistaken, have narrower spacing than I like. My thoughts.

5. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for your kind replies. I'll rephrase the question...
    There is a nice used unlined fretless Roscoe SKB3006 for sale that runs for $2000
    Alternatively a custom made Carvin Icon 6 will run for about $1600 (adding some goodies).

I have, as of right now about $1600 to spend...Regardless of the scale lenght, whate are your thoughts on these particular basses? What would you do if you were in my position...try to get the extra $400 and get Roscoe or just order from Carvin? Why would you pick one option or the other?

Thanks again for your kind help.

6. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    I have a Carvin and love it. I have no experience with Roscoe. If you do end up going the Carvin way, I would say get an ash body with Claro Walnut top, and go with the 5 piece neck. All IMO. But as I said before, I have no experience with Roscoe. Or, you can get the Carvin, if you don't like it, give it back for a full refund within 7 days, spend your money on the Roscoe.

7. I don't know if this will help but here are some sound clips of my Icon 4 string. The new electronics are really good.

http://www.putfile.com/bassviking

As was mentioned above, if you don't like the Carvin send it back and get the Roscoe. Also, check the Carvin bulletin board. A couple of posters received 6 string Icons and seem very happy with them.

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    THANKS!!! It really helped me to hear how they sound...If I decide to get the icon, which body wood would you choose? what about top? finish? piezos? Your opinions are alwyas greatly appreciated!

9. I enjoy the Walnut body for my LB76... I don;t have a top on mine either... just plain old wood.

go for the 5 piece neck too if you can.

Tung oil finish is hawt!

if you can spring for the peizo's... do 'er up!

10. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Bump