do you think i'll regret this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I currently run a GK 700RB-II into the following cabinet configuration:

1 Aguilar GS112
    1 Ashdown MAG 115 (Made in China)

I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting, but I really would like a little more portability and also to have a rig that fits more easily into my car.

I'm considering trading out the Ashdown cab for another Aggie, the GS112NT. I don't have any way to try it out before I switch. Do you think I'll lose anything soundwise? Will I regret this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the big question is if your ashdown has a lot more mids than the aggie does. I had an aggie 112 and i always had to bump the mids on my amp to cut thru in a live band situation. Don't get me wrong, i think it's a great cabinet and i wouldnt have sold it except i needed the money. I personally think the aggie 112's are wonderful and very portable, you just have to do a little midrange tweaking on your amp to be heard live. I'm always int ohaving the samllest possible cabs that still do the job and the aggie definitely fits the bill, i dont think any other cabinet that size has the bass response the aggie does.

3. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Yes I think that the Ashdown does have more mids, but the overall frequency response of the Aggie is in another league altogether, a quantum leap better.

I don't mind tweaking the amp, that's what it's there for...not trying to justify, just providing more input. Any other opinions on this decision?

4. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    b-b-bump

5. i have a single GS112 and have noticed that there is a little lack of mids. However i heard that running 2 makes a huge difference in their sound, but i have not been able to hear or try this for myself so i don't know how much truth is behind it.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i honestly don't think you'll regret it. i havent hear 2 of them togetehr either but its gotta sound good. the only thing i would say is that IME, when you run two small cabs together the 1st thing you notice is increased bass response. i still think you might need to cut a little lows or boost soem mids to cut through. even so, small portable cabs are the way to go.