Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you think i'll regret this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    I currently run a GK 700RB-II into the following cabinet configuration:

1 Aguilar GS112
    1 Ashdown MAG 115 (Made in China)

I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting, but I really would like a little more portability and also to have a rig that fits more easily into my car.

I'm considering trading out the Ashdown cab for another Aggie, the GS112NT. I don't have any way to try it out before I switch. Do you think I'll lose anything soundwise? Will I regret this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the big question is if your ashdown has a lot more mids than the aggie does. I had an aggie 112 and i always had to bump the mids on my amp to cut thru in a live band situation. Don't get me wrong, i think it's a great cabinet and i wouldnt have sold it except i needed the money. I personally think the aggie 112's are wonderful and very portable, you just have to do a little midrange tweaking on your amp to be heard live. I'm always int ohaving the samllest possible cabs that still do the job and the aggie definitely fits the bill, i dont think any other cabinet that size has the bass response the aggie does.

3. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Yes I think that the Ashdown does have more mids, but the overall frequency response of the Aggie is in another league altogether, a quantum leap better.

I don't mind tweaking the amp, that's what it's there for...not trying to justify, just providing more input. Any other opinions on this decision?

4. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    b-b-bump

5. i have a single GS112 and have noticed that there is a little lack of mids. However i heard that running 2 makes a huge difference in their sound, but i have not been able to hear or try this for myself so i don't know how much truth is behind it.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i honestly don't think you'll regret it. i havent hear 2 of them togetehr either but its gotta sound good. the only thing i would say is that IME, when you run two small cabs together the 1st thing you notice is increased bass response. i still think you might need to cut a little lows or boost soem mids to cut through. even so, small portable cabs are the way to go.