1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you think instant replays should be used in baseball?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by D Von, Aug 17, 2007.

1. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Yes or no?

After just seeing a horrendous call made at Fenway in the bottom of the ninth, I almost wanted to throw my TV half- way across the room.

I'm not saying it made a huge difference to the outcome of the game, all I'm saying is that we have the technology and it should be used within reason. By which I mean questionable plays that umpires would have absolutely no way of judging. This (imo) applies to close-call home runs (especially off the monster) and ridiculous calls like the one I saw tonight: a called strike that completely changed direction and should have been a foul.

How were the umpires able to judge that with there naked eye? But with one quick glance at the TV, Terry comes screaming out of the dugout in disbelief. He saw it, just like how all of Fenway saw it on the megatron, but a call is a call.

2. I think there should be instant replay certainly for home run fair/foul calls (or off the monstah) and possibly for certain close plays at a base, but not for balls/strikes--it takes the element of human error out of the game and given that umpires are right 99.999% of the time, even if we may disagree, and that it's a somewhat subjective thing, it would get too petty imo to have any disputed strike call go to the booth.

3. I saw the same awful call happen in the Red Sox game, and you bet it pissed me off. But I wouldn't want the MLB to take up a system like the NFL has. That would slow the game down so much.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Crikey, isn't the game long enough?!

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I thought it couldn't get any slower already.