Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think it'd be possible to train a chimp to look after a cat..? (read on)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 17, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all.

My cat just ran in and greeted me with it's freindly meeow/purr combo only to realize it's food bowl was empty, at which point it bogged off and I havn't seen it since.

I started to wonder: "I wonder why it homes into me/family members yet it totally avoids contact with any other cat, even cat ornaments..." That's when it hit me - it's because we feed it (aswell as shelter etc).

I then wondered: IN THEORY "I wonder if it'd latch on to anything else if they treated it like we do.." at which point a chimp came to mind as they seem a bit more trainable than a rat for example.

Imagine the scenario:

Cat nears door.
    Chimp spots cat so lets cat in.
    Cat greets chimp.
    Chimp feeds cat (pull tin so need to master tin opener)
    Cat eats, chimp goes off.

Later in the day when cats hungry again, does cat go hunt or does cat go harrass chimp?...

..I wonder....I wonder....oh how I wonder..IN THEORY

EDIT: Added a 'IN THEORY' tag or two meaning that events such as a chimp being able to look after itslef and run a household are concrete for this given example.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    And who looks after the chimp? :D You have to remember that chimpanzees are wild animals, albeit relatively intelligent ones... not cute little people in ugly monkey suits.

Wulf

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    crap, I forgot to label the post as an 'In theory' one thus allowing the right to not explain beyond te given statements.

4. I know several people who I'm sure are cute little people in ugly monkey suits. At least I hope they're cute little people and not just ugly monkey people in ugly monkey suits. ;)

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yes that would can, will, did happen.

To many examples. Just watch a few shows of Amazing Animal Videos on Animal Planet.

My Newt does that.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    [​IMG]

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I worked at the Popcorn Park Zoo in NJ and we had a monkey named Judy that adopted a stray kitten that was born between 2 of the cages. To this day (about 8 years now) it's still with her. Sure the staff feeds and shelters it... but it stays with her and she is always grooming it and such.