Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think learning of past bassists is helpful?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Absolutely

32 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. It help's some

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. who cares about the greats im gonna do it my way regardless...lol

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. Do you think that learning about some of the great bassists in history has helped you be a better player?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Of course!! I think it's just like writing, find me an author who hasn't read the greats in his or her genre, I dare ya!

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ok ill go 1st here...lol

i think learning about some of the great players has helped me to hone my skills as a player. Then I try to find out who their influances were as well so I can get inside thier head a bit better. It wasnt untill I started learning about some of the better players that I saw my own skills begin to grow. Its also helped me to be able to play a broad varity of styles, which at one time I couldnt do.

4. Yes, very much. I like reading about other players and who they listened to. I never really tried to figure out a song note for note, I pretty much figure out the chord changes and try to get the over all feel. Sometimes if I listen to say Grand Funk, Mott the Hoople, or Humble Pie I can hear riffs I stole even though I never tried to.

:D

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Hell yeah! But I don´t really know what I can add to the other replies..

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it...or something like it. ;)

7. You don't necessarily need to learn about X or Y bassist in particular ...but definitely those on or near your genre at least.

I'm trying out for a band now :) and Mike Mills (REM)came to my mind while learning/creating basslines for their songs. So Mills is not a fretburning jazzer, but this band goes for the so called "alternative rock sound" on the lighter side... just like REM. So when I picked up the bass I was guided by the inspiration of Mike's playing in early 80s REM. This story may sound like bullsh*t but thinking of a style of playing HELPS BIGTIME. After that my criteria would take over but by having a reference (a noted bassist from the past..and present too) I knew how to approach the deal and the bassline came quicker.

Peter Hook...I´ll take his style into account since the band's previous bassist played a lot of the high notes a la Hook.

So in my view YES you should know about the past...not ALL of it but at LEAST those players which go near what you WANT to play. Learning about the others in very distant genres is good if you can...my point is don't limit yourself to the certain premier bassists the majority labels as "THE guys". Hey, people like Gary G. Beers (INXS), Alex James (Blur) or Tim Butler (P. Furs) may be valid references too... they are for me. No they are not "gods"... but they are bass players who've been there, and I like their sound.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Personally(IMHO)-
    ...checking out stuff totally unrelated to "your genre" can yield some "new" ideas. Then, maybe, something "different" & fresh will result due to YOUR interpretation.
    Didn't the pioneers of "New Wave" listen to stuff like Punk, Rock, Reggae, Soca, R&B, etc?
    Listening to new & different stuff will help keep your mind open(IMO). BTW, when I say "new", that COULD mean "old" stuff(e.g. '60s Jazz).

I know a couple of players that were 'hot' back in the '70s...problem: they never ventured OUTSIDE their chosen genre. Nowadaze, they sound pretty much the same as they did 25 years ago...same musical vocabulary, darn near impossible to 'jam' with(unless it's in their genre).

9. DirntDisciple

DirntDisciple

Jul 28, 2001
    I think that learning from the greats is a must. I wouldn't be where I am today without the playing of the great Mike Dirnt. He is the best bass player ever, I don't think I will ever reach his plateau but it's nice to think I could.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dirnt...bes...pla...oh geez.

11. JimK I understand...I did say "at least" though. I also said if you can find out about other players outside your realm that's fine.

The thing is: you REALLY need to know about Marcus Miller if you are doing PUNK?? Dang!

OK let's mix ska and jazz-funk with bossanova... or new wave and hip-hop... or thrash metal and flamenco... get the picture?

Hey we do agree the knowledge of past players is a must. AT LEAST ;)

PS: I like Green Day and Dirnt's playing... but he is NOT the best or close to...come on!

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...sounds good to me! ;)

13. The history of bass and its players and other associated things interest me. I like hearing/reading about it and watching it.

And the first time I saw Dirntdisciple and Hoppusdisiple or whatever they are I thought they said Dirntsicle. Then I looked again and thought it said Dirntdipsicle. I guess I want a popsicle. Isicle amsicle goingsicle tosicle stopsicle typingsicle nowsicle.

14. Now that could be very interesting and entertaining at the same time!!

15. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    I think you definately need to know about the greats in your particluar genre. If not, it's just your loss and it'll show in your music.

God knows where I'd be if I hadn't heard "Something" by The Beatles.....

16. bassdays

bassdays

Jul 30, 2001
    yes! i think so, maybe?

17. Who played bass before Fieldy?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Trick question... we all know there was no bass before the F-man;)

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    lets not let this thread become a fieldy one please

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...way to go, Brad.
    Stirring the pot with a big ol' ladel(again). ;)