Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think long/fat fingers are needed/help play bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marzer, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Marzer

Marzer

Apr 26, 2005
    Do you think long/fat fingers are needed/help play bass, or is it all technique, and adapting.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well long fingers help, but aren't needed.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hells no. I've got very regular sized hands. Stretching just comes with time -- I can perfectly intonate from the F to the Ab on the E string, and I can hit a fretted A from the F on a fretted bass.

They help, but they are not by any means necessary.

4. No, it's all about developmental muscle. If you have it, then it doesn't matter how your hand is. And a slightly longer stretch of the hand does not make you move around the board any easier.

5. My teacher's hands are WAY smaller than mine and I'll never be able to play at his level.
    I think it's more about technique than size.

6. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Fat fingers will help your right-hand fingerstyle tone sometimes. The more finger you can roll across the string without using your nail, the darker the sound.

But again, you can overcome that with skinny fingers with the right technique, too.

7. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Have you ever seen Suzi Quatro play a bass solo? She's about 5"1 with tiny hands and she absolutely flies on that freaking bass. Unbelieveable! I'm amazed she can even pick the damn thing up, but she puts most people to shame, proving that hand size has absolutely no bearing on bass playing or ability. I have quite small hands myself and I seem to do alright!

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is all about technique and adjustment.

I have short, fat fingers. So short and fat that my brother told me I would never be able to play guitar, when he tried to teach me at 13.

I now play bass a lot better than he plays guitar, in spite of my short, fat fingers. And I can play guitar pretty decently, as well.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not at all. I have to special order work gloves for my small hands. I can't wear most gloves on the shelf either. Oh, and gardening gloves, I wear ladies' but don't tell anyone.

Small hands don't mean a thing. It's adapting. How do you think monkeys climb trees? They adapt... or just grab on and swing.