1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you think my loss of mwah will be significant - GHS PS to TI Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Sep 6, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Recently got a fretless Music Man bass that came with GHS Pressure Wounds on it. I really do like those strings but I had already gotten s asset of TI's to put on this bass as it has been a decade or more since I had a fretless with TI's and I was looking forward to trying them out.

I will probably change them to the TI's but I am just curious if any of you fretless/flatwound/pressurewound gurus could tell me your assessment of what will happen to my mwah factor going from the PS to the TI's?

2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Based on my experiments, GHS Pressure Wounds sound pretty similar to Rotosound Pressure Wounds. To wit, I offer for your consideration, an example with Rotosound Pressure Wounds:

and on the same bass, an example with TI Jazz Flats:

Nashrakh, armybass and pacojas like this.
  3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the TI's win, imo.

Root 5 likes this.
  4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Having used both, you're going t lose that "mwah" character because it's inherent in roundwound strings because of construction. The TIs will sound great, but won't have that character.

DiabolusInMusic, Root 5 and Lee Moses like this.
  5. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Gonna walk right up to him (her or it) and give him (her or it) some round-wound strings: "MWAH!"

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I use the PW on my fretless and it mwahs like crazy
    Mind you, to get that effect, I play over the heel of the neck where the string has maximum bloom.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    How funny that this thread should resurface. I just changed the PW for the TIJF. What a huge difference. The PW were nice but the tone and feel of the TI's are unmatched. Perfect on a fretless. There is no loss of mwah that I can tell but a huge bump in warmth and burpy mids.

Love.