1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you think Ohm's law should be taught in school? Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paulabass, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Yes, absolutely

149 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. TalkBass would fit on one page

42 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Simple poll, as mentioned in title. TB could be reduced to only two subjects- Best bass for metal, and What can't a Rumble amp do?

andruca, rollie 55, LowWay and 10 others like this.
  2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I learned it in shop class.

Loring, Bassdirty, TN WOODMAN and 6 others like this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I learned it in my high school physics class junior year. IMO even non-engineers/scientists can benefit from a basic understanding of some of the foundational principles that underpin the high tech world they live in.

4. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A musician that plays an electric instrument- The basics, how to change strings, and Ohm's law.

DTRN, TN WOODMAN, BassikBrad and 2 others like this.
  5. Dave814

Dave814

Aug 23, 2013
    Central PA
    I don’t remember exactly when or where I learned Ohm’s Law. I got into electricity/electronics at a pretty young age. It’s probably pointless for most people to know. They wouldn’t use it often enough to remember it. I think electricity is one of those things where a little knowledge can be deadly.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I learned ohms law in high school physics class - and a whole lot of other stuff. I even studied physics in university.

But it wasn’t practically cemented in my brain until I started putting together a bass rig in the early 2000s. That lack of practical knowledge led me directly to this forum where I relearned and was able to apply those principles.

So, yes, to all of the above!

TN WOODMAN and BassikBrad like this.
  7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    So, your next question will not be- I have 3 4ohm cabinets, can I connect them to my ringer washer, and use it for wifi?

dbase, quickfix, Gaolee and 9 others like this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Ohm's Law is gonna teach me how to nail Brown Eyed Girl note for note? I'm on it! :woot:

9. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    Ohm's Law in school?
    I think you would encounter some resistance.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    13590485_1755061491407614_5029217440252467760_n.jpg

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    The answer is 42. Or cats, depending.

scuzzy, equill, S-Bigbottom and 4 others like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    That’s the current theory.

bobyoung53, Loring, DTRN and 27 others like this.
  13. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I agree. In today's divisive world, that shouldn't come as a shock to anyone.

14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Maybe all we teach in school is how to power up and recharge a smartphone. It's obvious to me that as phones got smarter people seemed to think it was logical to become dumber. Realistically why would anyone need to be taught anything that they can get from their phone by simply asking?

On the other hand, who would design and build the smartphones...other smart phones? I don't think everyone needs to as knowledgeable as an engineer or a plumber or a doctor or an electrician, but we might all be better off if everyone had some basic understanding of a few key principles of those professions.

15. Teach music first.

DTRN, TN WOODMAN, Pauly 4001 and 7 others like this.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    And it's more than simply having some basic knowledge of a variety of subjects, which is a good thing. It's more about teaching people to think. Fifty years ago, what the world needed then was love, sweet love, but today it desperately needs think, sweet think! ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Murch, TN WOODMAN, miljoneir and 10 others like this.
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    With Google, smart phones, personal computers................it's not necessary to know anything.

Answer...........no.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I learned it in high school physics class. I also learned to read music in elementary school, but that's for another thread ;)

What's the best high school class for metal?

19. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I do not possess the capacitance to understand your answer.

bobyoung53, Loring, Wisebass and 14 others like this.
  20. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Back in the day it was Auto Body, now that cars have way more plastics and fiberglass in them, maybe not. :roflmao:

eddybuzzard and mikewalker like this.