1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you think peoples aint very smart if they aint had no college?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Do you think peoples aint very smart if they aint had no college?

2. I used to hire a lot of staff a while back. It was certainly a huge mix. There were some multi degree uni educated guys that couldn't find there own butt with a gps and those who didn't have uni education who blew us away. And vice versa.

3. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    it's easier to get in the door with a college degree...

but nothing beats experience.

I went to school for 4 1/2 years .. never got my degree tho (academic probation for a semester for bad grades) ..

took the time to get a Microsoft Systems Engineer Certification then went into the work force .. since, not a single employer has asked if I have a degree, it's always been about number of years under my belt .. and I'm a Senior Applications Developer (9 years later).

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Smart - no, I don't think smart has anything to do with college. Believe me, on a daily basis I see a lot of people who went to college who I wouldn't say are "smart".

Qualified for certain position? Yes, I havent seen too many effective lawyers or accountants that didn't go to law or accountancy school. Its possible that you could do it, but pretty unlikely that anyone would ever allow you to.

5. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    No you aint stupid if you didn't go to college. The main thing is you have to set a goal for youself. Your road to achieving that goal may include college or not include college. The important thing is pushing yourself to achieve it.

6. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Yeah, I'm not knocking this profession by any means but, think about the many real-estate people in this country. The ones I've come across without a degree seem to be hungrier and work harder than some with a degree.

Of course this is a vastly generalized statement. And I can only comment on those I've actually met...which is about 5 people.

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Going to college usually has more to do with the resources available to you than your intelligence. I went to a pretty prestigious college, and there were a shocking number of people there who were pretty dumb.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    It has nothing to do with intelligence. BUT it does help with getting jobs and it does have an affect on how people see you.

College educated people tend to take a broader view on social and political issues, have a larger body of information to use as a point of reference/view and are usually able to converse on a larger list of topics. The non-college people I know tend to have a better understanding of people, not afraid to work hard on simple tasks, and have a clearer understanding of themselves and how they fit in a social setting.

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    There's a difference between being educated, and being smart.

Ever hear the term, "Smart as a book, dumb as a rock"?

I know plenty of sharp, talented, observant people who never went to college. LIFE taught them, not a classroom.

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it doesn't mean anything.

The richest people I know never finished their High school. But they are very bright.

11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Agreed, there was a guy I knew in HS that had straight As, excellent SATs and a great resume to boot, and he got rejected from his first choice school. A girl I knew who went to a prestigious private school but was clueless as a rock got in because she was a legacy and her parents were quite loaded.

That said, I think the college degree makes one much more marketable in looking for a career. When I was still interested in becoming a police officer, every cop I talked to said to get a college education. Most police departments don't require a college degree as a prerequisite, but it's pretty much known that those candidates with a degree have a MUCH better shot at being hired.

12. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Oh yeah, I'd agree with that, Vince. Even if you start up at community college and take basic criminal justice classes, it drastically increases your chances of success at becoming a police officer.

What changed your mind from that career?

13. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Last summer I was diagnosed with a heart condition that would disqualify me from the application process. I'm still pretty interested in the law enforcement field, but I had to give it up realistically because it wasn't going to happen. I considered the forensics/investigations route but I'm not much of a math and science guy.

That said, I earned my EMT certification at 16 and would love to become a Paramedic someday. There are some police emergency response units that employ field medics to go into the field with them--that's what I hope to do.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    And on that note, I got my offer for Northumbria university confirmed today, I'm going to study law there! Give it a few years and I'll be part of the TB lawyers crew! :D

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Now THAT is a noble change of careers! I understand the heart condition problem. A cop friend wanted nothing more all his life but to join the DEA and bust crackheads and drug dealers. But he's got a really weird heart defect that isn't life threatening, but performance is affected and the DEA wouldn't accept him. But he's still a cop in a smaller, ritzier town, and pulls good cash in a relatively safe and quiet neighborhood. Not as exciting as he wanted, but still a great career and good pay, helping people.

Do the Meat Wagon route, man. If you have the intestinal fortitude to deal with blood and guts and can help the injured, that's quite a field to work in.

16. College is just something to make your job resume look impressive.
    It is also reasurance for the employers.
    A person who has college however still can get cheated, the same as someone who don't got no college. and vice versa.
    But work experience will definately rival college grads.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Its a sad and lonely club.....filled with lots of gear! Have you seen how much crap Bowlus has got? :eek:

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I must be dumb as a brick since I didn't go to high school or college :D

19. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit

Obviously you don't plan to work in a career field where you can only learn the tricks of the trade from a university or college. Lemme guess.. you aren't planning to study law, or medicine, or microprocessor engineering, or history, or even advanced culinary arts, are you?

College has its place. To wholly denounce it because you aren't planning to go there, is quite arrogant.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, I too dream of one day having more gear than I can ever hope to use! :)