Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think Soda (Pop) is over priced?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was a guest with some friends out at a resturant and with each soda being over $2 i realized i could get well over a 2 litter bottle of Soda for the same price in the grocery store and at the same time in the grocery store you can pay more for a 20 oz soda from the check out line soda coolers then a 2 litter bottle that comes off the shelf . Do you think Soda (Pop) is over priced?.

2. If people are paying the asking price, obviously not. :meh:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Strange, I was at the country fair, and we saw 20 ounce bottles for $1.30 or so... then right next to it, the liter bottles (big slam or whatever they're called) for $1.20. So we went on and on about that loudly in the store just because we couldn't believe it...

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Yes, very much so.

5. it's not overpriced if you buy it at the grocery store. but if you go out to a restaurant or something, it is.

i gave the stuff up though and i really don't miss it.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's way overpriced, but I pay it anyways.

7. What's wierd is how there really is no competition either.

The Big Y market in my local plaza sells a 2-liter for 1.50. The Family Dollar right across the plaza sells it for one dollar. every day. not a sales thing. WHY would I buy it at Big Y?

It is disgraceful that you pay 1.29 at a convenience store for a 20 oz-er when the 2 liter (at least as cold) for 20 cents more. But you're more or less paying for the convenience to not lug around a 2 liter on the go.

Rarely do I buy 20 oz-ers except from the vendo at work, when I run out from the 2 liter in my office fridge.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    EVERYTHING in a restaurant costs more than if you bought the same items in a store - the ingredients, the wine, etc.

There was an interesting piece on the soft drink industry on NPR a couple of years back. They think soda is too expensive as well and are desperately trying to come up with a delivery system that doesn't involve mixing syrup, ingredients and carbonation at a plant, bottling or canning the result and then trucking it all over the country. They tried installing a DIY filling center at some grocery stores around the country; people could take in their own containers and fill them, weigh them and get a printed price sticker (prices were generally around 25% of what you would usually pay), but they were a resounding flop. Both on the service side (lotsa maintenance problems, cleaning etc.) and on the consumer side (hard to clean machines make for an unnattractive interface, people would forget to bring containers) and most consumers ended up bypassing the same product at a lower price to buy already containerized product at a higher price.

If somebody can come up with some delivery system that cuts out container costs and cuts down transportation costs (especially with gas prices the way they are), the soft drink industry wants to give you a lot of money...

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I usually don't by individual bottles or cans unless I'm on a long drive. I stock up whenever grocery stores have a good sale on pop ($2-2.50 per 12 pack).

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The prices seem fair enough. I think the pricing structure for soda pop encourages people to overindulge. My local grocery stores normally charge $1.30 or so for a 20 ounce. You can buy two one liter bottles for $2, and a two liter botttle goes on sale for .99 quite often. Same goes for places like McDonalds and the dollar menu. Why buy a healthy salad for $5 when you can get a double cheeseburger for $1???

Ultimately, I think it is sad.

-Mike

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    At certain places yes. It kills me is when I buy it at a bar, or club and its like $3-4. Much cheaper at the grocery store.

But- I'm curious what the actual manufacturing cost for a 2-liter bottle of soda is? I bet its around 25 cents.

12. The price of soda when you go into a store/vending machine to buy one and the price of soda at a restaurant/club/bar/concert etc are very different.

13. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    To the best of my knowledge, prices have just doubled within the past 5 years or so for restaurant soda. I think it's a result of free refills. I can remember when you had to pay for a refill.

14. This is probably why everyone orders water now.

15. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    Don't you think it would be a good idea to jack up the prices on soda, so then people won't drink as much of it?

16. If you think soda is overpriced, you should hear folks in hell complain about the price of ice-water. :D

Mike :D

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Speaking of... what's with the soda companies charging the price of a soda for a water?!?!?!?

18. Well you see Stupidmatt, water is currently in very high demand and is invaluable to our conomy, so it makes sense that it's moderately pricy.

19. It's true.

Haven't you heard of "Peak Water"

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    OJ at a restaurant is rediculously expensive. A large is almost as much as a whole container at the supermarket.