1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you think "Sponsor a Starving Child" is a scam?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    There's a few different companies that run these adds, and I just can't help but think they're running a scam.

They claim that by sending them x amount of money a month, you'll be able to help a specific child in need in rural Africa. When you join up, you get a monthly update with pictures on your specific child. So one naturally wonders what the choosing process of what child gets "helped" is. And beyond that, if these people are able to afford professionally produced commercials in another country, they're merely sitting around all the time with their big expensive film crew, (and the tables of doughnuts that go along with them,) taking monthly pictures?

It just seems too easy to me for these people to take a bunch of pictures of somber looking children, and send you nice packages with propaganda telling you where your money is going.

I'm all for helping those in difficult situations, and I support the cause if it's legit, but it just seems so suspect to me. Agree?

2. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    It seems you have an internet connection...

3. Hi.

A touchy subject within the TB rules ;).

Go with the global organisations, Red Cross for example, and there's less chance that it's a scam.

The recieved percentage of the donation is entirely different matter.

Regards
    Sam

4. I've been using Children International for close to fifteen years and several children. They have a very readable financial statement you can get upon request. I did the research back then out of curiosity and they came out on top (expenses/actual aid). They have a program(that I use exclusively for several years, now) called "Share America". Your support goes to a child in this country. I have a boy in AK doing fine.
    Gotta do SOME kinda good in the world.

Josh

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I think it's legitimate, and that the picture idea did not come first, but later as a means of reinforcing the donator's feeling of involvement. I think it's a good idea. Even if in the end, there could be two or three persons financing the same child.

6. I use Compassion and have done some back checking into them, they are legit and something like 90% of the money goes to the kids. When I was in Rwanda, I ran into some people that were in the World Vision program, and it made a world of difference. When you have a family living on a dollar a day, an extra dollar a day makes more of a difference than you can imagine.

lowsound

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I have talked to people who have gone over to Africa and met kids who are being helped by Compassion international. I agree they are legit. I don't think they do the tv commercials though but maybe they do.

8. I have seen a few Compassion commercials, but most of the ones that I see are World Vision, which is also legit. They are the ones that I saw in action in Africa.

lowsound