Do you think that piezos add to the definition of the low B string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jan 10, 2005.

1. I have an Ibanez EDA905F, which has one magnetic pup, and piezos in the bridges (plural - this bass has 5 monorail bridges) and I've noticed that the low B string sounds more defined and focused when I have the piezos turned on.

Using just the magnetic pup, the B string is about an 8 out of 10, but when I add in the piezos, the B string sounds a little cleaner & more defined, pushing it to about an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. The bass has a 34" scale.

1.) Has anyone else noticed this with their piezo equipped 5 string?
    2.) What would the reason be behind this?

Any opinions/explanations appreciated.

I'm curious.

Mike ;)
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

saw a frequency response graph of a 60's Fender P bass open E string some time back. The frequencies ran from the fundamental (roughly 41.2 Hz seems is actually the what an open E is) to about 23 kHz.

So yeh, it flows logically that a piezo would add definition. Don't play 5's but it's apparent on 4's and your only talking about what, maybe 10 Hz difference. Peizo adds a percussive effect as well which adds a presence to the mix.
  3. Thanks, luknfur. :)

I was thinking that because the piezos are located in the saddles of the bridge, they would mainly sense the harmonics of the note being played, and this is what would add to the additional definition of the low B string.

Anyone else?