Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think that this will work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Mar 1, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,

I have an all tube guitar amp (Laney LC30) that has an fx loop and an extension speaker socket used to connect an 8 ohm extension cabinet.
    I was thinking of connecting a bass preamp (probably a Bass POD) to the fx loop return and using this amp as a power amp to feed a bass cabinet (to be bought). I’ll only use this setup to practice at home, so volume is not an issue.

Bass Preamp --> Fx Loop Return --> bass cabinet (extension speaker socket) --> bass cabinet

Is this possible? What would be the expected result? Is the frequency response a problem?? And what about the Ohms thing?

Here are technical specifications of the amp:

MaximumPower Consumption - 100Watts
    Supply Voltage (Factory Pre-set) - 115/230 Volts
    Supply Frequency - 50/60Hz
    Output Power - 30 Watts
    Input Impedance Hi & Lo -1 Meg Ohm
    FX loop level (nominal) - 0dB
    FX send/return impedance - 1k/100k Ohm
    Speaker impedance - 8 Ohm
    Extension speaker - 8 Ohm
    Speaker size - 12"/300mm
    Speaker rating - 50 Watts
    Size H xW x D - 445x565x245

Thank you all in advance for your insights!!!

Best Regards.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thanks.

When you say yes, what exactly do you mean? Will I get more or less the same sound quality (for low-volumes of course) that if I used a normal Power Amp?

Thank you once again!

4. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    :help: Anyone?? :help:

I am really lost here!!
    Since I already have this guitar amp and a Bass POD and BDDI and I don't want to spend alot of money this would be a perfect solution!!!

Thanks.

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Can you rent an 8-ohm bass cab to try and see what it sounds like? Keep in mind that the speaker in the guitar amp will still be operational, so even with a bass cab you could get a very mid-oriented sound. Also, there's a chance the signal path in the guitar amp might result in not a very good bass sound at the end of it (e.g. the EQ is definitely tailored for guitar, and also there might be some low-end roll off). Finally, the with the POD, you'll need to turn off the cabinet emulation and it might require some fiddling to get a good sound.

Again, try and rent a cab and see what it sounds like, if you can....

Mike

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    From a technical standpoint this would work fine, just buy or build a bass cab and hook it up. You can always get a larger power amp in the future should you need it.

7. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thank you all for your help!

I live in Portugal and I don't think that I can rent a cab over here... However I'll borrow one from a friend and give it a try!!!

I can disconnect the speaker from the amp, so I think the "mid-oriented sound" problem can probably be easily solved.

Since this is a guitar power amp, will it cut any frequencies?

Thank you all, very much!

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    A guitar power amp probably wouldn't work well for high quality music reproduction but it will be fine for bass. Most amp manufacturers that make both guitar and bass amps use the same power amp circuits in both.

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello,

I’ve yet not borrowed a cab to try this out because it’s not easy to find a friend that plays bass and is in the mood to lend you his cab.
    However, in the meanwhile, I would like to ask you if you really think that using a bass cabinet with the guitar combo power amp would sound considerably better than the 12” speaker that the combo already has and why?? (Always remember that we are talking low-volumes here)

I am quite lost…. On one side, I want do sell all my guitar equipment and buy something good to play bass thru (I almost don’t play guitar at all nowadays). On the other hand all this material was bought by my father as a gift I know that he is not thrilled about the idea of me selling it, plus, I want to spend the less money possible getting the best sound possible to play at home. So, if I could have the best from both worlds……………..

Thank you once again for your time and patience.

Best Regards.

10. A few years ago I was jamming with some guys and my vintage Acoustic bass rigs head crapped out. So I pulled out my Carvin 100 watt guitar all tube combo out put it on top of the bass cab dissconnect the guitar speaker, tweeked the eq it it sounded great but a little under powered but I really liked the tube sound for bass.

I got rid of all the Acoustic stuff and started putting together a new rig on a budget. The guitarist I play with now downsized his guitar rig form a 100 watt 1/2 stack to 50 watt combo. His old 1/2 stack from his old touring band had a seperate power and preamp, not having a power amp yet I took his Carvin 100watt tube power amp out of his rack put it in mine paired with a BBE BMax preamp I just scored off a MF scratch and Dent sale. Even going through a Fender PA cab it sounded great real thoaty and ballsy. Not much punch though wouldn't be good for slap. I have recently purchased a SWR Working Pro 1x15 cab which is rated @ 200 watts at 8ohms it's a perfect pairing for me .

So if you like the sound like I do using a guitar power amp with a bassw preamp work great.

didn't mean to ramble so much, hope this helps.

11. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    I am still thinking on this... This seems like a cheap solution to get me a nice sound...

I am only afraid that the power amp does not reproduce the desired bass frequencies... What do you think???

Thank you all...

Best Regards.

12. the power amp will increase whatever signal its given surely?

if you are unplugging the guitar amps internal speaker are you sure it wont affect the impedance of the amp, or is it only a single output that you will be plugging a bass cab into instead ?

bass speakers are designed for bass, they are made to respond to the specific bass frequiencies

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    One question, why the POD? Couldn't you just use the BDDI as a preamp?

14. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hello,

Probably I will not use the POD... this is s***t in the form of a bean...

I will use by BDDI or just buy another pre-amp...

Thank you.

Best Regards.

15. The power amp inside your guitar amp "should" reproduce whatever is put into it. You shouldn't experience any bass rolloff if you use a bass cab with it.

I do the same thing with a little CRATE 10w guitar amp into a 1x15 bass cab and it sounds pretty good. I like a mid-based growly sound though so your taste will probably be different.