Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think this GK/SWR head/cab combination would work well?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccyork, Mar 20, 2006.

1. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    GK 700RB-II
    SWR Goliath Junior III (4-Ohm)

Could it keep up with a drummer and one guitar player?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What don't you like about the cabinets that you have?

If you ran an 8 ohm cabinet (320 watts vs. 480 watts) you'd still be able to add another cabinet should the need arise.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I think that'd be an excellent combination. Awhile ago, when I was searching for a cabinet to match my 1001RB-II, I played it through an SWR Goliath Sr, and was blown away by the sound. So much clarity.

4. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I had the same setup, only the cab was 8 ohms. Unless the other two are just ridiculously loud, or you scoop your mids a lot, you'll be fine.

5. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to scale down. I currently have a Aggie GS112 and Ashdown MAG115. I'd like to go to just one cabinet to use for everything. Also I want a more "punchy" rather than "pillowy" sound.

Am I on the right track to go for the 4-ohm to get the most out of this combination, or are the volume benefits of 4-ohm vs. 8-ohm only marginal?

6. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Nice choices--the GK/SWR setup is ideal for punchy.

7. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    BUMP :bag:

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Well, if we use the 2x power = 3 dB increase in volume rule of thumb (to get a noticeable volume change), the GK into either Goliath Jr (4 or 8 ohms) should appear to have the same volume level.

Since the 4 ohm output power of the GK isn't 2x the 8 ohm rating, that suggests to me that the power supply is running out of reserve and would be happier at 8 ohms.

According to The Thinker, the 700/8 ohm G Jr. seems to work just fine.

Besides, if you have an 8 ohm cabinet and find the need/desire to add another in the future, you can. If you start off at 4 ohms, you're done.

9. ccyork

ccyork

Jan 26, 2004
    USA
    If the sound level difference is indiscernible, why would anyone need/want a 4-ohm cabinet? :confused:

I'm going to split this topic off into another thread...any more opinions on the GK/SWR combination?

10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I used a 400RBIII and an 8 ohm Workingman's 4x10 for a few years, and it worked fine with headroom to spare. This was also while playing with the loudest drummer in the world (no joke, he used a Hipgig on our rock gigs for a year, and didn't even need to be miked!)

11. I'll second the notion of an 8 ohm cab so you can add another cab if you need it. There may very well come a time when you need the volume of another cab.

Forgot to add: I use an SWR gol.3 jr. (8 ohm) with a GK 800RB, and I like it.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it will be great. I've been playing G-K heads, 700RB marks I and II, through a Goliath III, with excellent results. I really don't think you need the 4 ohm cab. The 700RB-II is a monster, and the SWR cabs are very efficient (one of their best traits IMO), so you'll be able to cover most shows. (I get by at some gigs with just a Neo112 and the 700RB-II.) That's especially true since you compete with only one guitar. You also might find a nice clear/pillowy mix by occasionally using one of your other cabs with the Goliath III, Jr. I'd want to leave that option open.

Just beware that you will be losing some low end heft with this cab -- another reason it might be nice to mix it with one of your others. (Or just get a G-K Neo212. ;) )

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good question...

One local bass bud says that he'll never use two cabinets and he wants to squeeze the maximum number of watts out of his amp... Ironically, after he finally blew the 15 in. cast frame Eminence that he'd been gigging with steadily for over 10 years, he discovered that it was really was an 8 ohm speaker, rather than a 4 ohms speaker that he thought he had in there...

If you had a tube amp that didn't have an 8 ohm tap (like an SVT), you'd want a 4 ohm cabinet...for solid state applications...I would stick with 8 ohm cabinets.

14. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i used to play that amp through a mesa diesel 210 (EV) and it di dspread quite some fear among both drummers and guitarists. super punchy. not reggae low end but great anyway. i think the goliath jr will be less loud but usually enough. but there are better options when SPL is the essence.