Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think you could have a fulfilling life without Love?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 20, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you think you could have a fulfilling life without Love?

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    No, I don't.

Marshall

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Without ANY love (parents, freinds, critters) or are you talking about a mate?

:D

Joe.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What kind of love you talking about? because it depends?

If love as in sexual/relationship/marriage/kids i believe you somewhat could... not really but its possible... I wouldn't want to live like that but i can see how its possible. Yes i want my share of booobies too:)

Love for ones that are around you... Love for friends, family, people who are close to you in general... No... you can't... it wont be a life anyways

Love for everyone in world... psh... that’s hippie talk but somehow i would say that yes... yes i do love people in general.

5. MAJOR METAL

It is open to interpretation but i would be inclined to say Intimate Love.

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

So you mean like "women... can't live with them can't shoot them and hide the body" kind of love?

7. MAJOR METAL

No not that at all but not being open to the beauty of love between 2 people.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Ah.

Yes. You can have a fulfilling life without intimate love BUT since we all have a built in desire for it no doubt that on your deathbed you (or me or whoever) will have a regret that you have not experienced it.

How big of a regret? That will vary from person to person on how well they were able to gain that fulfillment through other aspects of life.

There are many aspects to life. Sometimes we must focus on some more than others. The more o.k. you are with that the easier it will be.

Yes you can have a fulfilling life. But you will have to PLAN it that way.

:D

Joe.

9. yep

10. isn't love just for women anyway?

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

without sex.... yes, I think so
    without being 1/2 of a commited relationship.... no, not at all.

12. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Yes, I think it's possible to live a fulfilling life without intimate love. I think that, though as sad as this sounds, some people, try as they might, will never find a "soul mate" or even a girlfriend/boyfriend/married. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I do know some adults who are single, but are perfectly happy and don't plan to marry in the future.

Vince

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1

-Ray

14. did u watched the 40 year old virgin or something? hah.

15. MAJOR METAL

No.

16. is love anything like alcohol? :confused:

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Simple answer to the original question: "no".

Sex gets very boring after a while. Stupid stuff like drugs, makes you forget about all the marvelous stuff that's important in life.

Love for others, is perhaps the one thing that keeps me going in today's world.

If it weren't for that, I'd be jerk*ng off on my couch, instead of caring for my baby. Spouting rhetoric, instead of trying to push some eye-opening ideas into places like TPA. Using drugs, to escape from what might be an unpleasant reality - which ultimately, is a very selfish perspective, IMO.

You're asking a very deep question, MM, which I fully appreciate, 'cause I've been through all the ins and outs of a life without love.

The one issue I might point to, is that "love" is not in the eyes of the beholder - in other words, you can't "impose" love on someone - some people (many people, perhaps), have that worldview, but ultimately that doesn't work in the real world.

The sense of sensitivity, to other peoples' needs, is a primary factor in what I'd call "love" - although there's probably a more global sense too, that transcends the individual, and goes more to the crux of human nature.

But let's say, I'd pose this question to you: on the one hand, you've got a person that wants to get laid, who's entirely focusing on physical pleasure. On the other hand, you've got a person who's more interested in a longer-term perspective, who perhaps enjoys physical pleasure, but doesn't consider it to be perhaps "as worthwhile", in the longer term.

How do you distinguish the "love" that you give to those people? :eyebrow:

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    hell no.

19. if no, is love anything like the effect of beautiful music? Chills and euphoric stimulant type feelings?

I'm somewhat curious, but in a "thinking about this makes my head hurt," kind of way.

20. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    One cannot depart from the tao, and that which can be departed from is not tao.

what is there besides love?