1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do You Think You Need More power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 27, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I know there are some of you that will be purchasing gear anticipating that at some point you will be playing gigs where you will need a more powerful rig.

This pic makes me consider 16 10s and EBS.You would have all the possibilities covered

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If there's PA support, than that much amp is just a stage prop.

3. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Thats why they do marketing pics of hot bass chicks like her with 4 410's and a couple heads. Almost all of the arena guys are running a pair of 810's and a couple SVT's as heads, you might as well too. BOB

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    avalon DI on top of her rig

sweet DI, and the fact that its there means that that rig is excessive, and she probobly wouldve been fine with just one 4x10 cab..

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Nice photo of Tal. I think that was from the Beck tour.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Amen. I carry 1100W and 1 (ONE) 8-10. If you need more than that, you are famous. I've seen stadium shows with lees than that. BUT, if you want to spend $6000 and lug it around, I'll bet it's FUN to play through! :bassist:

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Thats what I have heard, I saw Tal in Milwaukee with the same rig, sounded great from where I was (practically on the stage). But I have no idea what she sounded like to the folks in the balcony.

Sombody told me that Jeff Becks Marshalls are propos too and that he is actually playing through a Fender Twin Reverb.

I was standing next to Rick Neilson (Cheap TricK) I should have asked him, I think he uses stacked props for his shows.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I am a bassist. I play metal. Of course I think I need more power.

9. need aint got nothin to do with it........if you can afford it,dont mind luggin it,and the band is cool with it.....go nuts........

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's an endorsement. She is paid by EBS. Her "sound" to the FOH is from that Avalon U5 on top. All she needs is a monitor wedge. The stacks are for dough and show.

11. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Is that the way you do it up there in the North there Steve? :D

I totally disagree, her sound is coming from the stacks and she couples to the FOH.

You ever really listen to the bass of somebody who only uses FOH? Sounds like crap IMO. Go ahead and mention anybody, one comes right to mind right now. You are at total mercy of the Sound Guy.

Modern PA's while having great bandwidth and performance are not BASS RIGS. All my buddy's who use heavy PA support Mic their rigs to the PA instead of doing DI.

If I ever get back in the show, I'll be able to get by with a DI as my rig makes its own smoke... But I still might spring for a Mic or two instead.

BOB

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 It doesn't look like the second TD650 is even plugged in (I assume it is there for 'look' and also backup). You can see the Avalon DI on top of the amp, which is what the audience is hearing.

That's the same rig that Marcus Miller has used for a while... EBS TD650 with two EBS410's for stage monitoring, and then the U5 to the house. Nice!

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would guess 100% of the sound the audience hears in Tal's situation comes from the U5. For a clean, modern tone that she goes for, backline only gets in the way IMO and IME. I would never, ever personally mic a backline rig, since my tone goals are similar to Tal's.

However, +1 if you use your backline to generate distortion, etc. (the PBass grinding through an SVT type thing). Then, mic'ing the backline rig makes totally sense.

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Given Beck's stage volume, and the size of many of the venues they play, a dual 410 stack (I'm pretty sure the second two are not hooked up) seems reasonable to generate a nice 'bass feel' on stage. Also, that particular head does not really start to crank until you get it running at 2ohms. So, that's not quite as big of a rig as it first seems, if you have some experience with the TD650. Even at 2ohms (I assume her 410's are 4ohm), it's about equivalent volume-wise to a Markbass LMII IME.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I think you're a little off base here, Bob...

1st off, I don't see any mics on her cabs, so how exactly is she "coupling to the FOH"???

2nd, at that level - it's expected for the FOH sound TO be left in the hands of the sound man - and if he proves to be incapable of giving a great sound, he'll be promptly replaced...

Lastly, as pointed out - unless distortion is a goal, a DI'd signal from a quality bass and box will work just fine in competant hands, and through a decent FOH - it's not rocket science... I run sound for my band and others all the time, and have no trouble at all getting great bass tone out of the FOH, as long as it's decent to begin with...

It's not uncommon to DI, mic, or use both - and all three approaches will yeild great results with a good source, a competant soundman, and a good FOH - I'm just sayin'...

- georgestrings

16. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Yuppers. I run 1100 crest watts into my NV215... and its barely enough!!!
    :bassist:

17. hahahahahaha

18. Here is the show in question:

19. brandtb

brandtb

Aug 27, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Geddy Lee does not use on-stage amplification. He hasn't for the last few tours. It's a pretty involved triple-path setup using an Avalon U5, Sansamp RPM, and a Trace Elliot hooked up to a cabinet emulator.

It works pretty well, having heard it in person.

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    i actually always have PA support for all of our gigs. I DI my rig for the clarity and cleanness of it. I also run a mic in front of my rig to give the overtones and warmth of the sound coming from my speakers. I am most certainly not at Tal's level or really even close, but I do use all my gear on stage, no props. If Tal was using all 4 speakers and 2 heads, would there not be some sort of distribution component on her rig?
    By the way, my 850 watts has been good enough to play arenas and every were I want it to and give me plenty of Stage volume for my own use as well.