1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you think you've ever invented a technique or sound that no bassist has ever done?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ian the bassist, Nov 19, 2010.

1. I just thought I'd post this up because I feel this would be a unique thread. Now I have no problem in saying I've never heard another bassist make a particualr noise with their bass the way I can. I can make it sound like a ray gun. I will have to post a vid sometime of this. It's great for bass solo's and gets the crowd involved! Is there any techniques or sounds that you guys have made that you thought the same? This is either gonna get no replys cause people will think I'm trying to steal their ideas or get f u c k loads. haha

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Probably some that no bassist ever would want!

3. I find this thread interesting as a hobbiest that learned theory first to apply on a bass fretboard mostly to find out if I had any artistic value at all. Not much after about five years, but I do enjoy what I do with what I learned about chord construction to play some cool sounding chord tones. My favorite is some Bmin to Amaj stuff between the 9th and 7th frets. Not much rhythm, but very melodic.

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    i played my bass with drum sticks on a tune when i was a teen. thought i made it up but i've since seen others do it...

other than that, i'm a copy cat.

5. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I wouldn't want the ray-gun deal, I've already been stopped and searched in London twice by armed police because of the 'bass in softcase mistaken for gun thing', I didn't like it much ; )

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I won't know for sure until I've heard everything that any bassist out there has done.

I was working on a ray gun effect but guess I'll have to try something else now :)

7. I did it by accident and was like W T F!!! haha. I use a chorus, distortion, wah and a pinch harmonic to get it. Ya have to get some feedback off the wah as well to REALLY make it sound good. :)

8. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    Is being terrible a technique?

9. I used to use rosined paintbrushes to stroke the strings, to get a soft sound with a slow attack, reminiscent of bowing. It didn't work that great - not a practical sound - but it was neat to play with. I also cut off the handles of the brushes close to the ferrules, and would spin them around to be able to pluck with the wood when necessary, as you can't really pluck when you're holding something like that. The wood gave an interesting tone too.

10. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Of what use is your ray gun sound put to?

11. Show. The audience love it. And so do I! :D

12. I've seen alot of good bassists put themselves down and say there not that good. I'm sure ur better than u think! ;)

13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    +1

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I must have struck on something because my bandmates will frequently turn to me and ask "what the hell was that supposed to be?!?"

Riis