Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you think

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattFreemanRock, Dec 7, 2002.

1. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    An essex would be a good step up from a squier or should i go to something else. I'm hearing all these great things from Essex and the basses look beautiful but not much comparison from squier to essex.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i just ordered a fretless P Essex. For $99 ? can you lose ? Most of the cats that have been raving about them play some serious gear and give good reviews to these little things. I say go for it.

Don:)

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Squiers really vary in quality, so it's tough to know how yours plays. I've only tried out a couple of Squiers myself, but I do like my new Essex better than most of MIM Fenders I've tried, which tend to be better than Squiers. It's not going to be a huge step up though, so keep that in mind.

4. MattFreemanRock

MattFreemanRock

Nov 30, 2002
    yea but i mean the price is great, but intimidating thinking it'll be worse than you thought.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No worries. They're MUCH better than their price tag would have you believe, at least in my limited experience.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I own 8 basses, and have owned several others that I have sold.

I own one bass that lists for $2899 and another that lists for almost $4000.

Is my SX P bass as good as those? No. But for $99.00, it is amazingly good!

I took it to 2 gigs this weekend, as a backup.

The first night, I played my wife's Lakland Skyline 55-01 Deluxe on 2 sets, and the SX on the other 2 sets.

The second night, I played my Peavey Cirrus on 2 1/2 sets, and the SX on 2 1/2 sets.

That should tell you something.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wow, embellisher, your wife is a slabber ? My wife is a modern dancer and we have enough artistic arguments to kill a cow. I cannot imagine having a bass playing wife !

I would have to lay down the law like the composer Robert schumann - his wife was a composer and when they were married he told her it was him or composing---she choose him ! (she did compose after his death though - he died at 37 );)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Can you kill a cow with artistic arguments?

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Cattle, Elk, I think we even took down a moose on one occasion.;)