1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you throw away bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Paulabass, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I'm giving my work area a good spring cleaning (Okay, I'm a little slow). Among my stuff is over thirty sets of used bass strings going back at least ten years. Most of them were taken off cause they were pooched, well past their prime. Dirty, and or rusty.
    Each time I take off a set, I coil them neatly, and put them in the newest empty string pack, and put them on a shelf. Bear in mind they are not spares. I have a 4 string set, and an extra B, in my pedal board case.
    I just dropped them into the trash can, along with twenty dead 9V. batteries.
    Anybody else?

mikewalker likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    At least put them in the recycle bin, along with the batteries so they are properly disposed of. This stuff should not be in the landfill.

That being said, I send all my old strings to D'Addario in exchange for free swag, or free strings.

Playback - The World's First String Recycling Program

RickyT, campbems, Deak and 17 others like this.
  3. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    You're right. They should be recycled, and I will pull them out of the trash. Didn't know about the D'addario program- thanks.

R&B and jfh2112 like this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I give them to a Scrap Metal Guy.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I feel like they should advertise this more because this is awesome.

rodl2005, FatStringer52 and jfh2112 like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is cool.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    There's a scrap bin at work.
    There's also a waste oil can that I put old oil from an oil change in.

8. D'Addario's site:

"As of September 1st, 2017, all shipments must have a minimum of 2 pounds. Points will NOT be awarded for shipments under the 2lb weight."

That's a LOT of strings!

9. Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Damn, I changed the oil on all my basses today!

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    jfh2112 and EdwardofHuncote like this.
  11. Good to know! 15 minutes away! Thanks.

Linnin likes this.
  12. Old .135 B-strings are almost an exact replacement for Gold Wing throttle and brake cables . . . . . .

13. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I give them to a local jewelery maker, who makes amazing things out of them.

14. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Only *you* would know that! :roflmao:

15. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    @ThreeFingers and @Linnin - howdy neighbors! Good to hear Jerry is still in biz! :thumbsup: Haven't seen him in a while.

ThreeFingers and Linnin like this.
  16. I'm also only about 10-15 minutes from Fretwell.

ThreeFingers likes this.
  17. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Those shouldn't be trashed in the same trash can. Mind you. They should be scrapped in two different recycle bins.

I do keep them as SPARES, if they are double ball end strings. But only these. Especially on guitar, and headless instruments. Double ball strings have their merits. You can take them off and on as many times as you like. Whenever a string breaks on a gig, and I replace that one string, a brand new one will stick out like a sore thumb, and has more zzzing and freshness compared to the rest of the strings. AN USED ONE, an old one, will actually fit into this way much better. Mind you the old string can't have fret dents and wear, because that will make the gauge uneven along the string and cause it to be pretty useless. They have to just be "old" without too many dents. Since they are stainless steel they last ages. Since they're round cores (double ball end can have that without any problems) no gunk is piled up inside the wraps and windings.

Double ball end strings doesn't need to be cut like ordinary strings, and throw the excess metal in the - right - recycle bin. You use almost 99 percent of the manufactured string. And I DO ultrasonic clean them in isopropanol so they'll last at least 2-3 years on some of my most workhorse headless instruments. But regular basses with headstock, they aren't that good to save because of the coiling and wraps that you can't get rid of. I would love to be able to save old regular strings for headstock basses for the same reason but I can't, when putting on old strings again, they don't fare that well at least compared to their double ball end equivalents.

- - - - -

Once I'd cut off excess length of strings of a regular headstocked bass, and measured the length and weight, and wondered how much excess we are actually paying for. It was totally unbelievable! They're made to that to make some slack for different basses behind the nut length, number of wraps around tuner post, and string through body anchoring, and so on. Even trapeze tailpiece ones.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    I know an installation artist who uses all my old strings

19. Recycle and/or use portions of them for cleaning hard to reach places (sounds dumb but it works very, very well)!

mobdirt likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Greetings @EdwardofHuncote! Jerry and his wife have retired and sold the business to Sissy Hutching and her husband & bassist Travis Weaver. Same shop and same great selection & service for you upright players. Last time I was in to recycle some strings they had a single electric bass on consignment. For everyone else it's double bass heaven.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.