1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you tip for your pizza if YOU go pick it up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan316, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    We tip to have the pizza brought to us, but do we ever tip if we go to the pizzeria to pick up an order? Do you also drop a few bucks into their cup on the counter?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    No. I don't tip for any food that I have to go pick up myself. Chinese food, pizza, fast food, etc...

3. Nope. I don't believe I am getting any additional service that would warrant me giving out a tip.

I think myself giving them my service and eating at their establishment is payment enough.

4. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Nope.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    No, the prices are already bad enough.

6. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    No way. Tipping is to make sure your driver/waiter(ress) gets paid for doing their job. The person at the counter or making the pizza gets paid a lot more than these people and don't need a tip to earn their wages.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    no

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

9. I always order two, one for each hand, that keeps me from tipping.

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I regularly order Jet's Pizza, and because of dietary restrictions for a friend, I also order the Jet's Bread, but with no seasoning or butter or garlic or salt or anything, just the plain dough. And I also ask for an extra cup of their ranch dip, so I always tip them. And yes, I double-check to make sure the Jet's Bread order comes clean and plain, then tip them well.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Negative.

12. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    This is where we get into gray (grey?) area. If you want something special, sure go ahead and tip. For a standard run-of-the-mill pizza, no tipping necessary.

13. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Guess I'm alone in this one, but yes, I do. Both at the Pizza joint & the Chinese take out place, because they are locally owned, non franchise businesses who's owners are in the store every single time I go inside.

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    EXCELLENT! EEEEXCELLENT! Support the small shops, people. Even if they're a little pricier sometimes, cuz the product is always better.

Same as going to a mom and pop guitar shop, before going to gui****ed Center.

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Good point, I still don't. Frankly, the main thing I'm thinking of is coffee shops. Locally owned, but still ungodly expensive. I'm not going to tip you after you made me a 4 dollar coffee drink.

16. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    There's more caffiene in my 89-cent Faygo Rock-n-Rye than there is in that $4 coffee. That alone, is enough reason to leave those overpriced coffee shops to the yuppies.

17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    That's a big HELL NO.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I tip everyone in the service industry who gives me good service. I've found that I get a little extra love when I stop for a beer before I take the pizza home, so I just tip my standard dollar a drink and call it good. Win-win, as far as I'm concerned.;)

My local latte enabler gives me a "good customer" discount, which pretty much covers the tip. Again, win-win.

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    No.
    I only do it if it`s a delivery service or if I eat it in a bar/restaurant.

20. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R