1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you tip your set up guy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Basshammer, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Just wondering what the etiquette is when paying a guitar/bass repairman at a music store. Should you tip, or is that optional?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    no. unless he does it for free.

when i do set ups for my boys they usually tip me in a 12 pack of beer or a blunt or something.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    hmmm that never occured to me ... but then again I haven't used a setup guy in years ... I am quite often the set up guy for somebody else ... and I am too cheap ... I usually do it for a few bucks or sometimes nothing ...

My 4-2-5 conversions are sometimes a break even job where the money that I charge covers parts and thats about all ...

It is a good idea for a serious player to become a competent setup guy ...

4. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    No, I don't tip him. He makes more per hour than I do.

5. If he does it for free, give him like 10 bucks. Then ask him what he did, and how he did it. Then look up some free info online and start doing your own setups. Once you know what a good one feels like on your bass, you can learn how to replicate it on others...

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've received tips, but only when I was working for free (which is rare). One guy gave me a $100 just for restringing his acoustic guitar once. Sweet!

7. Basshammer

Basshammer

Feb 25, 2005
    Florida, USA
    Thanks for the input guys. I've always thought that tipping a set up/repair guy was not the norm, but I figured I'd double check. My friend owns a studio and he tips the guy who sets up his guitars and basses for each session, so that made me wonder. I've never tipped my set up guy in the past, so I was wondering if this was a custom I didn't know about. I'd be happy to tip him if it were customary, but if it's not, I'll skip it. I'm already paying him quite a bit as it is.

8. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Um, no. I pay his invoice...?

9. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I'm thinking this would be analogous to tipping your plumber, electrician, car repairman, etc. They should be charging enough to not rely on tips.

Having said that, if you need a job done quickly and he's quite busy, maybe greasing a palm might help expedite the process...