1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you turn the EQ off on ur amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by badboy1984, Mar 7, 2008.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering do you turn your EQ off on your amp when you use stomp box like MXR or Sansamp etc?

I mainly adjust my tone on the clean channel on my MXR, so was wondering shell i turn the EQ off on the amp or leave it on but set everything flat so i can adjust the mid if i needed.

2. you could try using the fx loop provided you have one that may help, i dont use the this feature but i do not change my eq to flat or off while i have fx in the mix

3. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    Experiment a little with both methods, until you find somethng you like. I'm not familiar with the MXR myself (I take it you mean the M-80), I don't know if it sucks mids at all like the SansAmp. With the SansAmp Bass Driver I tend to crank the mids on my amp, leaving the bass, treble and presence either flat or rolled back. This sounds good IMO, a lot of other SansAmp users also appear to apply this method, at least mid boosting on the amp that is. However, everyone's taste is different and this may not work out for you, spend some time trying out different settings until you find something that works for you. There is no real right or wrong in this sense.

One thing I should add though, especially if you're playing in a rock band, keep those mids. Even if you don't like the sound of them too much when playing solo, you're likely to cut through much more in a band setting and not just sound like a wall of bass (as I'm sure many of us have experienced at one time or another). Of course, there's always a chance you've brought a pedal that just isn't for you, but until you spend a decent amount of time messing with it you'll never know for sure.

EDIT: I should also add that losing mids, only to boost them afterwards may seem a bit daft for some people. It's basically the only way, that I'm able to get close to the sound I like without spending money I really can't afford to. This is the only I'm able to get even close to the Ampeg tube sound I like (without shelling out for the real thing). So if it means I have settings that may seem a tad counter-productive to some, well that's just the way it is I guess.

4. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    What EQ?

5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    As most sound engineers tend to want a pre EQ signal I usually set the EQ on my amp the way I want it and start with the EQ flat on the M80. I can then add a little extra mids or back off the treble in the DI if he wants me to. I don’t tend to use the ‘color’ button much as it sucks the mids out and as people before have said you need the mids, apart from the occasional rare slap tone or a ‘clicky’ type plectrum tone.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use to use the M-80 as my sound and my amp to just make that sound louder that's why I originally went with EA gear since then I've moved on ditched the M-80 and just using my amp for my sound (Now a Mesa 400+) while it's true most soundmen want a pre eq'ed signal sometimes in the real world the soundman is terrible and he doesn't know what he's doing so you have to take matters into your own hands :D

I do want to get another M-80 or the Sansamp Paradriver in the next few weeks just not sure which maybe both :D

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Very true, and depending on who's on the desk I do sometimes ask them to set the EQ flat on the PA channel and EQ it myself. This is when the M80 and Sanaamp prove very useful.

8. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i like to bypass the eq and preamp of my amp with my sansamp, because when i crank volume when the two work together the sound seems cluttered (when i use a rat2 as well). since i use an active bass i can boost the mids on it which works ok, but i really wish that it's mid control was as sensitive as the EQ of the sansamp.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I do want to get another M-80 or the Sansamp Paradriver in the next few weeks just not sure which maybe both :D[/QUOTE]

Hey sorry to hijack but I've been very curious about the Paradriver in particular. Could you post a review with clips if you get one, or better yet a shootout if you get both? :)

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :rolleyes: Hmm... I don't know anything about the subject, but I'm going to post anyway!