1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you use a compressor live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FunkyYeti, May 16, 2020.

1. Live only

37 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. Studio only

22 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Live & studio

217 vote(s)
    65.8%
  4. Carrots

54 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. FunkyYeti

FunkyYeti Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Do you use a compressor live? If you do, is it the same you use in the studio? Why or why not?

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Yes and yes. Cali CB is my go to and I tend not to play without it.

3. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Always during live performance. In the studio, I'm sure some compression will be happening, but the call whether to have a discrete compressor treating the signal printing to the track is up to the engineer/producer. I don't want to insist on saddling them with something they don't want to use. I'd also assume they're doing multiple bass tracks anyway, to include a pure dry DI track, which might make it a moot point.

4. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yes and yes. I have just a few compressors. :D

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Although I said yes and yes I don’t always use one live, and that’s simply because I’m sometimes too lazy to be bothered to bring the pedal board lol. I currently use a Mooer Yellow Comp (a Diamond Comp clone). It’s very simple, transparent, and has a pleasant impact on your sound. The tilt EQ is very user friendly as well.

Yellow Bang66 likes this.
  6. Yes. Because it sounds great.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I used to. One reason I bought my Carvin PB-300 in the early 90's was that the Ampeg SVT did not have a compressor, although tubes naturally compress a little bit, and the state of the art of MOS-FET's then were spikey. But I only used it sparingly, working on my technique. The goal was to not need any compression, and I mostly succeeded. The one TV special I played the broadcast sound man said he used less compression on me than any other bass player he had mixed.

Now, I go direct box and let my sound man take care of it. He doesn't need to compress me much, either.

Did I say work on technique to make compression into a touch of flavor rather than to fix fundamental inadequacies of technique?

8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    Always live and always on the main bassline if recording. Adding/mixing additional tracks is case by case.

9. No you don't!! Stop lying!! :p

10. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1
    Exactly, and Ditto.

pbass6811 likes this.
  11. Doesn't matter what you "believe". The question was asked plain and simple. You're ego is trying complicate it.

Guild B301 likes this.
  12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Yeah, actually it does, because it completely changes the nature of the question. He wasn't asking should I use a compressor or not, he was asking should I use it live and/or in the studio. There's a fairly significant difference. If there's any ego trying to complicate matters, it's not mine...

superheavyfunk likes this.
  13. "Believe" whatever you like that makes you feel better.

14. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's not why or why not use a compressor. It's why or why not use the same compressor in the studio as you do in your live rig, for those who DO use one in their live rig. I read this to mean that if you DON'T use a comp in your live rig, the follow-up doesn't really have any relevance. Perhaps OP can clarify.

FunkyYeti likes this.
  15. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    No need to worry about me, I understood what he asked...;)

16. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't use a compressor live, and only in the studio if necessary. I believe it's better to learn to control your dynamics and play as even as possible when required.

I found that bassists that need considerable compression while recording, are usually lacking in technique.

17. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Used to use one back when I used my thumb more, but haven’t in 25? years.

I don’t like having my dynamic range limited live, and if it’s needed in the studio, whoever is tracking or mixing will take care of it.

Guild B301 likes this.
  18. FunkyYeti

Oct 10, 2019
    This is what I meant. Sorry about the confusion.

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because I've been rethinking my board and have been thinking whether I want or need a compressor. I've never used one as an effect. Just sort of something to fall back on...

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Guild B301, pbass6811 and jimfist like this.
  19. Thanks for clarifying. You answered my question that I asked, as to why you thought you needed one. Apparently you don’t think you do. Thanks for letting us know.

20. FunkyYeti

Oct 10, 2019
    And but how do you know if you need one?