Do you use a Digital MultiMeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Mar 9, 2003.

1. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Hi all,

Do you own and use a Digital Multimeter?

I am currently looking for one that measures the following: AC/DC voltage, AMperage, Resistance, Capacitance, Continuity CHecker with Beep, Diode Checker with Beep. Bonus features would be Frequency Counter, Autoranging.

Not necessary: Lit LED

What makes/models do you recommend in the 50-70 dollar new or used range?

I plan on using this for working on guitar electronics, possible making stomp boxes, cable making/tesing and eventually tube biasing. Will I need any other features for those?

2. check Parts Express for new hand-held ones. But to get a benchtop you'll have to pay a lot more, even used ones on ebay are fairly pricey (benchtops that is). Especially benchtops with freq counters.

the frequency counters on low-budget models aren't very useful IMHO, and the capacitance probably won't be very accurate unless you start getting around $100. As far as amperage, I seldom use it, even though I've got one with a clamp-type pickup. And if you don't get the clamp type, remember to measure amperage you must go in series with the circuit...cutting and soldering, what a pain for a measurement that's usually not needed.
  3. ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    I've owned a couple of Fluke DVM's and they rock. Nice features, built like a tank. Give 'em a look.
  4. Fluke 29.

Remember, if it works it's a Fluke !

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    yep definitely go with a fluke. I've talked to several EE professors of mine and they all said to get a fluke.
  6. I second the Fluke. They're absolutely world class. We have 1 or 2 each at work (with 6 technicians).
  7. degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE

Lots of votes for Fluke.

Any comments on Ideal Brand?
  8. Don't know that brand. Because of that, it probably sucks :D

All's been said: Fluke.
  9. Check your local pawn shops. You can get Flukes for cheap in there. I once passed a Fluke 87 ($300 meter) for $75 in the local pawn shop.

Also, Wavetek is good. I've had my RMS225 for 10 years now with no trouble. They make Fluke copies.

I like Fluke too. I have a model 10 or 11 I think.

Most important thing -> Autoranging. Manually selecting a range is a pain once you get used to autoranging.

10. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Fluke. In a class all by itself.

11. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I use Fluke and Tektronix at work and they both work just fine for me. I have no preference, but then again, I didn't have to buy them.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    B&K Precision

These (and a few other brands) are top notch.