Do you use a Digital MultiMeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Mar 9, 2003.

1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Hi all,

Do you own and use a Digital Multimeter?

I am currently looking for one that measures the following: AC/DC voltage, AMperage, Resistance, Capacitance, Continuity CHecker with Beep, Diode Checker with Beep. Bonus features would be Frequency Counter, Autoranging.

Not necessary: Lit LED

What makes/models do you recommend in the 50-70 dollar new or used range?

I plan on using this for working on guitar electronics, possible making stomp boxes, cable making/tesing and eventually tube biasing. Will I need any other features for those?

Thanks!

2. check Parts Express for new hand-held ones. But to get a benchtop you'll have to pay a lot more, even used ones on ebay are fairly pricey (benchtops that is). Especially benchtops with freq counters.

the frequency counters on low-budget models aren't very useful IMHO, and the capacitance probably won't be very accurate unless you start getting around $100. As far as amperage, I seldom use it, even though I've got one with a clamp-type pickup. And if you don't get the clamp type, remember to measure amperage you must go in series with the circuit...cutting and soldering, what a pain for a measurement that's usually not needed.

3. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    I've owned a couple of Fluke DVM's and they rock. Nice features, built like a tank. Give 'em a look.

4. Fluke 29.

Remember, if it works it's a Fluke !

Aloha,

Jonathan

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    yep definitely go with a fluke. I've talked to several EE professors of mine and they all said to get a fluke.

6. I second the Fluke. They're absolutely world class. We have 1 or 2 each at work (with 6 technicians).

7. FLUKE

8. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Cool.

Lots of votes for Fluke.

Any comments on Ideal Brand?

9. Don't know that brand. Because of that, it probably sucks :D

All's been said: Fluke.

10. Check your local pawn shops. You can get Flukes for cheap in there. I once passed a Fluke 87 ($300 meter) for $75 in the local pawn shop.

Also, Wavetek is good. I've had my RMS225 for 10 years now with no trouble. They make Fluke copies.

I like Fluke too. I have a model 10 or 11 I think.

Most important thing -> Autoranging. Manually selecting a range is a pain once you get used to autoranging.

Chris

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Fluke. In a class all by itself.

Pkr2

12. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I use Fluke and Tektronix at work and they both work just fine for me. I have no preference, but then again, I didn't have to buy them.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Fluke
    Beckman
    B&K Precision

These (and a few other brands) are top notch.