1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you use a password manager?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Nov 7, 2018.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I'm getting sick of remembering different passwords for websites I log into once or twice a year. My old man memory is going.

Does anyone here use a password manager? Any recommendations? And drawbacks to using one?

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    yes, i do. i've used roboform since 2003. no complaints.

saabfender likes this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yes. They're really, really helpful.
    And far more secure than re-using the same "clever" passwords on multiple sites.
    I use KeyPassX.

saabfender likes this.
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Do they work on multiple devices? Can I access the same password manager through my phone and two computers? What about an app like Mac Mail or iPhone Email that has multiple email accounts?

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I use series of numbers and letters that, in my mind, spell out something dirty.

I am eternally 13 years old.

Gaolee and JRA like this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Take a look at The Vault. I've been using it for years and it's great. I'm able to sync the password database across my iPhone, iPad, and iMac. I think it's still free for a single mobile device. A $10 upgrade allows you to use it on many devices and keep them all updated and synced up. The app is updated frequently too. The OS X app is $25 and I consider that money well spent because it integrates with my mobile devices.

Sync across multiple devices requires a free DropBox account. Everything The Vault stores in DropBox is encrypted. The DropBox account is as secure as the password you assign it. Even if it's hacked, there's nothing usable in it.

This week I've been going through all my online logins and changing passwords. My iCloud Keychain had 140 login credentials stored in it, many of them obsolete. Cleaned that up. Then I started going through all my online accounts I regularly use (or might use at some point) and changed the passwords to be unique and complex, with completely random characters (The Vault will generate complex passwords for you). Over the years I've tended to reuse a variation on the same "throwaway" password a lot. No more of that. I had a bunch of throwaway Google accounts too. Got rid of them. On the few I kept, I upgraded the passwords.

The Vault - Secure Document & Data Storage.

Before someone chimes in with "But you're exposing all your passwords to hackers": You are incorrect. The Vault encrypts everything stored on the device, and database syncs across devices are encrypted end-to-end. The app itself is as secure as the PIN you set up to access it (you can optionally use Touch ID or Face ID to access The Vault if your devices support those features)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  7. I use LastPass after my accounts were hacked a few times. It works pretty well. I only have it on my phone and haven't tried to set it up for use on a computer (the PC I use the most is my work computer which won't allow me to install the plug-in) so I have to log in on my phone and then manually enter the password into a PC. There may also be a fee associated with multiple devices but I'm not sure. Overall it's easier to use than I had hoped and has been nice to have.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't, but: i write/type them all to a page(s) just for archiving those details (usernames and passwords).

GBBSbassist likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    subbed

...'cuz I suck at remembering my passwords!

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Been using KeyPass for years. It's free, and you can put it on mobile if you want (I would suggest not, or having a separate list of accounts on your mobile device, i.e. not your bank account and similar). The encryption on it is very solid, especially if you protect your password database with a keyfile and a password (which I suggest you do, and keep the key file very separate from the database file).

kesslari likes this.
  11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    For sites I only log into occasionally (once or twice a year) I just use the "forgot password" function and use some random number, letters and simbols for the new password.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope.
    I use the same password for everything, just change the last number when I have to.

-Mike

13. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Mike, this is really an invitation to be hacked.
    Network/cyber security is what I do for a living. The single biggest user-specific, big impact issues are clicking on unknown links/attachments (still!) and reusing passwords on multiple sites.
    Your choice, of course. But a well encrypted password manager makes it simpler to keep yourself and your assets secure.

OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.
  14. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    password_strength.

Jim Nazium and Bob_Ross like this.
  15. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I think the references to Keypass might really be Keepass. I use Keepass. Windows, Linux, IOS, Android. I manually copy the updated database file around to my various devices, but I believe you can put the file on a cloud or also sync local files to a centrally available network file.

16. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    "Back in the day", we worried about people guessing our passwords. So weird words and spelling tweaks were the order of the day, and mixing UPPer and loWER case with symbols.
    Today computing cycles are cheap, and password cracking software is common.
    The single thing that makes passwords difficult to crack is entropy, which equates to password length. It is exponentially harder to crack a 20 character password than a 10 or even 18 character password.
    But long random passwords are hard to remember.
    That's where password managers are invaluable.

If you reuse passwords, it's trivial to find multiple sites that you use. Including your bank. If I cracked your facebook password I'd try it at your bank, on ebay, Paypal, wherever.

OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.
  17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, it sure is. The lazy hackers are the ones who love me. One password and they are done.
    I also work in network and cyber security in the healthcare world where it's 1,000 times more a big deal than other industries.
    I give presentations, webinars, write documents, and speak to people all the time about making sure they surf the internet safely and have good password policies.
    For some reason, I don't apply it to myself. Don't tell anyone who comes to my class or reads my papers though. :D

-Mike

Gaolee and kesslari like this.
  18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember a funny comic strip I saw years ago which showed a father handing a puppy to his young son.
    The father made a comment to him along the lines of...make sure you pick a name easy to remember since it is going to be the answer to a password hint 30 years from now.
    :D

-Mike

JKos, Pilgrim, elgecko and 2 others like this.
  19. Can you expand on this?
    I use one long one for monetary, and another for non monetary.

I keep mine on a .doc so all I have to do is copy & paste, and I certainly couldn't remember them with so many substitutions.
    I've been using Avast anti-virus (paid), and been thinking of trying their password manager.

20. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I got a laugh out of seeing Kanye typing in his iPhone PIN code “00000” while being broadcast on the news.

48thStreetCustom likes this.