1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do You Use A Plucktrum, or Classic Plucking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AraThorN, Jan 21, 2004.

1. AraThorN

AraThorN Guest

Jan 21, 2004
    For Some reason, I dislike using a pick. For gallops, I just use my nail on my pointer finger, and I just use my two fingers the rest of the time. I got into some real crap when I was in a gig outdoors, and it was so cold the strings stuck to my fingers. Am I just whacked up, or are there other plucktrum haters out there?

2. I use a pick 99% of the time. Half of the 1% I play with my fingers is when I've dropped the pick. It goes back to when I first started learning I didn't have an amp and it made it easier to hear myself- I'm comfortable with it and see no reason to change- it's my style.

BTW, from Webster's:
    One entry found for plectrum.

Main Entry: plec·trum
    Pronunciation: 'plek-tr&m
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural plec·tra /-tr&/; or plectrums
    Etymology: Latin, from Greek plEktron, from plEssein to strike -- more at PLAINT
    Date: 1626
    : 3PICK 2c

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sure, there's other plectrum players - in the technique forum. Moved.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't use a plucktrum, whatever that may be...

But I do use a pick! I like my tone, and I shape my EQ around a good picking tone. If any band I ever play in would sound better with fingers, I would play fingers.

I don't hate the tools that are in place, I just use them whenever need be.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I don't use a plectrum because I feel I have more control with my fingers. It's all about feel for me. If I need to cut a little more or I need a little bit more volume, I find a pick does the job, but it isn't appropriate for most stuff I do. Which really is a damn shame, because a friend of mine just gave me this absolutely beautiful pearloid pick that I adore but don't use. A damn shame...

6. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I play with a pick most of the time. Personally, I find it much easier to do things like sweep arpeggios and tremolo picking using a pick.

7. AraThorN

AraThorN Guest

Jan 21, 2004
    Right, My Bad about the spelling

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    98% fingers, 2% plectrum

9. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I used to play with a pick... now I only use fingers... I don't know why but now that I learned how to play fith fingers I feel myself limited using a pick.... maybe I never had the right pick technique but to me fingers are the better choice on bass. why? because bass has bigger string spacing than a guitar.... try picking E string then G string.... then try doing the same thing with fingers... isn't it simplier? I also think you can get sharp and angry tone with fingers as well

anyway I am still using a pick sometimes

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play classic plucking fingerstyle 99% of the time and the times that i use a pick are basicaly when my blisters get so bad that i cant play without one. I used to use a pick about 20% of the time, when i played Tool stuff, but now i play that fingerstyle as well.

11. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Fingers 100% here...I used to use a pick when I wasn't fast enough, but since I can usually keep up with most tunes, and I don't dig the 'pick sound' I don't use one.

It's all personal preference, though :)