Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You Use A Plucktrum, or Classic Plucking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AraThorN, Jan 21, 2004.

1. AraThorN

AraThorN Guest

Jan 21, 2004
    For Some reason, I dislike using a pick. For gallops, I just use my nail on my pointer finger, and I just use my two fingers the rest of the time. I got into some real crap when I was in a gig outdoors, and it was so cold the strings stuck to my fingers. Am I just whacked up, or are there other plucktrum haters out there?

2. I use a pick 99% of the time. Half of the 1% I play with my fingers is when I've dropped the pick. It goes back to when I first started learning I didn't have an amp and it made it easier to hear myself- I'm comfortable with it and see no reason to change- it's my style.

BTW, from Webster's:
    One entry found for plectrum.

Main Entry: plec·trum
    Pronunciation: 'plek-tr&m
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural plec·tra /-tr&/; or plectrums
    Etymology: Latin, from Greek plEktron, from plEssein to strike -- more at PLAINT
    Date: 1626
    : 3PICK 2c

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sure, there's other plectrum players - in the technique forum. Moved.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't use a plucktrum, whatever that may be...

But I do use a pick! I like my tone, and I shape my EQ around a good picking tone. If any band I ever play in would sound better with fingers, I would play fingers.

I don't hate the tools that are in place, I just use them whenever need be.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I don't use a plectrum because I feel I have more control with my fingers. It's all about feel for me. If I need to cut a little more or I need a little bit more volume, I find a pick does the job, but it isn't appropriate for most stuff I do. Which really is a damn shame, because a friend of mine just gave me this absolutely beautiful pearloid pick that I adore but don't use. A damn shame...

6. Wildside

Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I play with a pick most of the time. Personally, I find it much easier to do things like sweep arpeggios and tremolo picking using a pick.

7. AraThorN

AraThorN Guest

Jan 21, 2004
    Right, My Bad about the spelling

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    98% fingers, 2% plectrum

9. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I used to play with a pick... now I only use fingers... I don't know why but now that I learned how to play fith fingers I feel myself limited using a pick.... maybe I never had the right pick technique but to me fingers are the better choice on bass. why? because bass has bigger string spacing than a guitar.... try picking E string then G string.... then try doing the same thing with fingers... isn't it simplier? I also think you can get sharp and angry tone with fingers as well

anyway I am still using a pick sometimes

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play classic plucking fingerstyle 99% of the time and the times that i use a pick are basicaly when my blisters get so bad that i cant play without one. I used to use a pick about 20% of the time, when i played Tool stuff, but now i play that fingerstyle as well.

11. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Fingers 100% here...I used to use a pick when I wasn't fast enough, but since I can usually keep up with most tunes, and I don't dig the 'pick sound' I don't use one.

It's all personal preference, though :)