1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you use an FX loop or TB pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Godswarrior31, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Godswarrior31

Godswarrior31

Nov 22, 2016
    Ventura CA
    I've spent a long time putting together a pedal board with pedals I like. nearly all are true bypass with the exception of a buffered EB VP MVP and my very last pedal and a buffered Wet Reverb Stereo at the very end. About 8 pedals in the chain.

So...I'm running out of space on the board but thinking about a few more ("just one more, I swear, hunny, then I'm completely done...") pedals I "need" and wondering...do most of you guys use FX loops in your amp or any sort of TB FX loop pedal, or is that only for our tone-whore-guitarist brethren? =)

Tone is such a fickle thing.

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    The effects loop will have a bigger impact on your sound the dirtier you run your amp in my experience. If you mostly run it clean it won't be that much different, but if you have any kind of dirt/breakup coming from the amp and not just from the pedals in front of it, you can definitely hear a difference with modulation and time-based effects.

FWIW I use a Two Notes Le Bass in cold fusion mode, and have my chorus, reverb, and a high/low-pass filter all in the loop.

Radio likes this.
  3. Godswarrior31

Godswarrior31

Nov 22, 2016
    Ventura CA
    Bass players with big bottoms gettin' dirty!! ;-)

4. I have used a loop pedal on my boards for years, mainly to build up sounds with effects and then to switch back to clean.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I don't think most bass players use the FX loop on their amp unless they use the return with an outboard preamp.

When my board was larger, I used a bypass looper and grouped my pedals by type (4 loops plus tuner output). Some prefer to group pedals by sound (pair an octave and an envelope, fuzz and boost, etc). It really is the best way to go.

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. Godswarrior31

Godswarrior31

Nov 22, 2016
    Ventura CA
    That's what I'm thinking about doing too. What loop pedal do you use?

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nope, neither.

I'd only use the FX loop if I ran distortion on my amp and used time based effects. No point otherwise IMO.

8. Dilbert

Dilbert

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    I had a barge concepts one , very simple and with a feedback looper.
    Cut down my board a bit and moved it on, done what it done very well tho.
    I also had a Cog rogue leader which was slightly more advanced. I only got that so I could run a Mantic Density Hulk under my synth tone. Didn't take me long to realise it's better to run that thing straight to the PA lol, but that's another story

9. I always run all my pedals before my amp. Come to think of it my guitar player actually runs all his pedals in front of his amp also, the only exception being adding delay and reverb to layered harmony parts in the studio where's he's getting the distortion from his amp. But we're a one guitar band so he doesn't even play those parts live. The only time he uses delay live is during clean parts and it really doesn't sound much different either way with his clean tone.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I never run any of my stompboxes in the amp's FX Loop; that's reserved for rackmount line level devices like compressors or reverbs, and I rarely use those these days. I do have one TB loop pedal that is permanently strapped across my Korg G5, because the Korg's bypass status is about as far from a "true bypass" as any effect can get without just being on.

11. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I use the Once Control Mosquite Blender with BFF Buffer. It works as advertised. If you are interested in just a simple loop you can try their 1 Loop Box. They make great quality stuff.

Mosquite Blender with BJF Buffer
    1 Loop Box